Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a project!

I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!

how about english paper piecing. my favorite or embrodier, thats handy .. enjoy seeing your daughter and new grandbaby... molly

check with the airline you are flying --- just before you go---the list of items you are allowed to take changes...and is different for different airlines- so it's important to check with the specific airline- it would be a bummer to loose a tool important to you...this happened to me- we flew out west- the airline we went on allowed sewing scissors 4"long or shorter- with sharp points.
    i took a grandma's flower garden project to work on on the plane.
    on the way back 2 weeks later my wonderful stork scissors were confiscated---the agent was VERY RUDE ABOUT IT when my hubby and i stated- they came with me in the same travel case as they are in now---just 2 weeks ago...

today- according to the rules you can have scissors up to 4" long- pins, needles, pin cushion...
    to be on the safe side though i recommend doing all the prep work- so you wont need scissors- and pick up a little thread cutter pendant you can wear to snip threads.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always choose embroidery over any kind of hand sewing. Silly isn't it, since they are pretty much the same thing. If you like to embroider, there are 1000's of pre-stamped items out there.

Do you like to hand embroider? You could have your blocks ready and your designs marked and spend the whole time making embroidered blocks for a new project when you get back...?

Other than that, do a google search for hand quilting projects and you'll have lots of ideas if you want to go that route.

I like grandmother's flower garden for airplanes. Buy a cheap pair of safety scissors so you won't be sorry if they get confiscated. I haven't had an issue yet but you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    how about english paper piecing. my favorite or embrodier, thats handy .. enjoy seeing your daughter and new grandbaby... molly
    I have paper pieced a quilt, but I don't know what English paper piecing is but I will check it out. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    If you have a hand project that just needs threads to be cut, not fabric, you can bring a Clover pendant instead of scissors.
    You can find them all over (JoAnn's , Michaels etc.) Also on line:

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Thread-.../dp/B000YQH0K8

Quote Originally Posted by grendelskin
    I like grandmother's flower garden for airplanes. Buy a cheap pair of safety scissors so you won't be sorry if they get confiscated. I haven't had an issue yet but you never know...
    I'm sort of a new quilter, so I don't know what all this stuff is. What is grandmother's flower garden?

What about quilt-as-you-go placemats? They are fun, fast, and useful!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast