Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a project!

I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!

how about english paper piecing. my favorite or embrodier, thats handy .. enjoy seeing your daughter and new grandbaby... molly

Blog Entries
    check with the airline you are flying --- just before you go---the list of items you are allowed to take changes...and is different for different airlines- so it's important to check with the specific airline- it would be a bummer to loose a tool important to you...this happened to me- we flew out west- the airline we went on allowed sewing scissors 4"long or shorter- with sharp points.
    i took a grandma's flower garden project to work on on the plane.
    on the way back 2 weeks later my wonderful stork scissors were confiscated---the agent was VERY RUDE ABOUT IT when my hubby and i stated- they came with me in the same travel case as they are in now---just 2 weeks ago...

today- according to the rules you can have scissors up to 4" long- pins, needles, pin cushion...
    to be on the safe side though i recommend doing all the prep work- so you wont need scissors- and pick up a little thread cutter pendant you can wear to snip threads.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always choose embroidery over any kind of hand sewing. Silly isn't it, since they are pretty much the same thing. If you like to embroider, there are 1000's of pre-stamped items out there.

Do you like to hand embroider? You could have your blocks ready and your designs marked and spend the whole time making embroidered blocks for a new project when you get back...?

Other than that, do a google search for hand quilting projects and you'll have lots of ideas if you want to go that route.

I like grandmother's flower garden for airplanes. Buy a cheap pair of safety scissors so you won't be sorry if they get confiscated. I haven't had an issue yet but you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    how about english paper piecing. my favorite or embrodier, thats handy .. enjoy seeing your daughter and new grandbaby... molly
    I have paper pieced a quilt, but I don't know what English paper piecing is but I will check it out. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    If you have a hand project that just needs threads to be cut, not fabric, you can bring a Clover pendant instead of scissors.
    You can find them all over (JoAnn's , Michaels etc.) Also on line:

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Thread-.../dp/B000YQH0K8

Quote Originally Posted by grendelskin
    I like grandmother's flower garden for airplanes. Buy a cheap pair of safety scissors so you won't be sorry if they get confiscated. I haven't had an issue yet but you never know...
    I'm sort of a new quilter, so I don't know what all this stuff is. What is grandmother's flower garden?

What about quilt-as-you-go placemats? They are fun, fast, and useful!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Grandmother's Flower Garden is a gorgeous quilt made of about a zillion tiny hexagons sewn around pieces of card stock or heavy paper. It's a beautiful pattern that I know I will always be too lazy to make. :-(

Do a quick Google for images. There are many.

What about embroidery?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by mbake
    I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!
    WOW - just found a project perfect to take on a plane - right here on todays topics: Hydrangea avatar folding tut - from a lady in Australia!!! Looks like you could have everything already cut out (& put in ziplocks) & just need thread, needle & sm. thread cutter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-128379-1.htm

Good luck & congrats on the new grand baby - have a blessed trip

Blog Entries
    I saw they had a "airline friendly" scissors in the latest Keepsake Quilting catalog.

I like a Hawaiian pillow case pattern. It is needle turn and then later hand quilt.

What about pre-cutting yoyos and then pulling them together on the plane. You could use two big zip lock bags, one for the cuts and the other for yoyos. If you didn't have a color pattern in mind, you could attach a few then go back to making a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Grandmother's Flower Garden is a gorgeous quilt made of about a zillion tiny hexagons sewn around pieces of card stock or heavy paper. It's a beautiful pattern that I know I will always be too lazy to make. :-(

Do a quick Google for images. There are many.
    I will definitely go over each and every suggestion. I could probably take quite a few projects with me. I'll have to stock up on zip lock bags! :)

Blog Entries
    I'd make yo-yos. They don't require as much attention to detail as embroidery projects. Sometimes airline lighting leaves something to be desired. You could have enough for a table runner by the time you fly there and back. I'm making my next ones with the Clover yo-yo maker. I made them the old way in the 70s to make a vest. There's a new Clover yo-yo maker that makes flowers, too.

I just put together a small wall hanging and then marked it and am hand quilting it. Very fun actually! (my first time trying hand quilting and loving it!) Very compact, I have a baggie with my thread, needles, scissors and thimble and then the fabric.

today- according to the rules you can have scissors up to 4" long- pins, needles, pin cushion...

I don't understand the thought behind these rules...they let knitting needles on the plane! I would think they could do more damage than 4" pins. I'm just saying.

Yo Yos?? Grab a charm pack (or two...or three...) a Clover Yo Yo Maker....and you are golden! :)

You can pack a small dental floss in your purse to cut thread.

Blog Entries
    Cathedral window squares all set up and ready to sew?

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    How about Sunbonnet Sue or Sam, Blocks, also Animal Blocks..12 x 12 squares or smaller.. I find it well done on the air plane.. then when you get there or back you will have it all done but the batting and backing..

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    OOps forgot the needle , they do not let you bring that, unless you use a piece of foil wrap around it , .. I used that and it was not detected ... :oops: I am soooo bad , sorry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast