Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a project! >

I need a project!

I need a project!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mbake
I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!
Yo Yos?? Grab a charm pack (or two...or three...) a Clover Yo Yo Maker....and you are golden! :)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM

You can pack a small dental floss in your purse to cut thread.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Cathedral window squares all set up and ready to sew?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by mbake
I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!
How about Sunbonnet Sue or Sam, Blocks, also Animal Blocks..12 x 12 squares or smaller.. I find it well done on the air plane.. then when you get there or back you will have it all done but the batting and backing..
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

OOps forgot the needle , they do not let you bring that, unless you use a piece of foil wrap around it , .. I used that and it was not detected ... :oops: I am soooo bad , sorry
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If you have a hand project that just needs threads to be cut, not fabric, you can bring a Clover pendant instead of scissors.
You can find them all over (JoAnn's , Michaels etc.) Also on line:

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Thread-.../dp/B000YQH0K8
I wear one of these on a nice chain and it just looks like a pendant on a necklace!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by KandiKane
OOps forgot the needle , they do not let you bring that, unless you use a piece of foil wrap around it , .. I used that and it was not detected ... :oops: I am soooo bad , sorry
You were lucky. I used to wrap some toothpicks in foil and leave in my purse.
And guess what? Needless to say...no more foil for me. Every airline/airport
is different. I would not take the risk to bring anything sharp that's valuable
even if I was told it was OK. They can change the rule like the weather.
The worst is when you have to go through several airports to reach your
destination. I've had to toss stuff to go buy again 5 minutes later. H-E-L-L
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 AM

How about Chicken Scratch? That trip has surely shortened a lot. It used to be an 18 hour flight just from Hawaii.Enjoy your trip and family visit.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 AM

I'm not a huge fan of doing it this way, but if you've never done applique, maybe find a applique pattern that you like, cut out and fuse to block. Then all you have to do is the stitching around the block. A sunbonnet sue would be darling with a blanket stitch, scottie dogs, etc. I prefer the needleturn, so I trace out my design on my block for the pieces with a water soluable marker, cut out all the pieces and put each block in a separate ziploc bag with the color of thread I'll need. Maybe a couple different types of projects, in case, you get bored just doing one?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 AM

I agree with sewcrafty. Pack a few different projects if you can. I took Yoyos one year (for a much shorter flight) and got soooo bored with making them.
Now, knitting washcloths with variegated yarn, I can do that til the cows come home.