Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I needed a Big Ironing Board!!!!! >

I needed a Big Ironing Board!!!!!

I needed a Big Ironing Board!!!!!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM

Timely topic. I just made this, for my longarm room. Perfect for ironing those big backings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527918[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20150803_144558.jpg  
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 AM

I had Home Depot cut the sheet of plywood in half lengthwise and the ends off, and used the two end boards for shelves. I also used a staple gun. Gave a friend the other width of board some years ago. I have since recovered it. It has been great.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Great ideas. I'll be moving in a few months and will need to buy/ build an ironing table as the one I have is built into the wall. I'll bookmark this thread for ideas.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
It's not that hard to make your ironing board rectangle. Use your board some plywood (hubby made 2 big boards with one sheet of plywood), strips of wood, batting and fabric. Now if I can fins the pictures!! Lay your ironing board on the plywood, draw shape of ironing board onto plywood, cut wood strips and apply (hubby used screws) just outside of drawn lines, cover finished board with batting and fabric (I used the staple gun). I have this one dedicated to quilting but you could take the big board off and still use for clothes ironing if needed.
I also added a layer of aluminum foil as I'd heard that it would reflect back the heat from my iron. Otherwise, it's pretty much exactly what you have made.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Great and timely thread. Thanks for sharing it. I have one question. I hang my ironing board on the door when not in use. How did you attach the board so that when you fold up the ironing board the board stays on. I don't have enough space to keep it up all the time.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM

Love this, Cybrarian!!!! And your signature line🙏!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 PM

Wow! That sounds like a terriffic idea. I've learned during the past 2-3 months while I've been working on the bedskirt, the drapes for my son's room. etc., that a very large ironing board would be wonderful. I've got to work on that!

Thanks for the idea!

Jeanette
Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM

oh how I wish that I had space in my sewing room for a large board! In the long arm space in basement, I covered my dining table (with all the leaves) with a heat reflecting cover, then bat and an old quilt and use it to iron wide back (although most of the time I just put the backing on the rollers and then mist with water spray bottle and roll back and forth and let it sit overnight and it's wrinkle free.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 AM

Very nice! My daughter and son-in-law made me something similar with wood, batting and fabric only the edge is kind of rounded off. It sure is a big help! Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 AM

My husband cut an oak entertainment center down. It had drawers and a shelf with doors where I store my extra machine. One of the drawers is nice for storing patterns upright (stored video tapes) and two larger drawers. In the slot where the video player was stored now houses my decorator boxes of thread by color. I also store my revolving cutting board under the ironing board. I saw an oak entertainment center like mine at the 2nd hand store for $10.00. Cheaper that the sterilite cabinets and nicer looking with more storage.