Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ruined my king size scrap quilt. >

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 AM

Hey zozee, that is not so dramatic....I kind of like it. Sure rings true. Jane
Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 AM

I just had a problem with red ink. Not on a quilt but on a double faced satin ribbon I was using to make sashes for flower girls. Don't have a clue where the ink came from or what type of ink it was. It just appeared on the front of one of the sashes. I used a clorox pen, which didn't work and then I used a white cloth dampened and a drop of (blue container) Dawn. This worked and the ink was totally removed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1589.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 03:09 PM

I'm so glad I read this now, before I start my teacup applique quilt......I'm so sorry this happened to you. Hopefully one of these suggestions will work for you......
Old 09-01-2016, 04:09 PM

It is a beautiful quilt! Bless your heart, what a journey this has been. Thanks for sharing all your lessons learned on this one!!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM

Oh, Jane...I really do applaud you, first: for your determination to solve this problem, second: for your humor in writing about your trials and tribulations, and thirdly: for making such a lovely quilt. I hope looking at it makes you smile now in spite of the marking pen induced trauma you endured. (What quilt are you going to make your daughter now? )...
Old 09-02-2016, 02:37 AM

I don't have any advice on removing the marks, but would say use it and love it.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:21 PM

I have found Grandma's secret stain remover removes almost everything, at this point I would try anything.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Oh, Jane...I really do applaud you, first: for your determination to solve this problem, second: for your humor in writing about your trials and tribulations, and thirdly: for making such a lovely quilt. I hope looking at it makes you smile now in spite of the marking pen induced trauma you endured. (What quilt are you going to make your daughter now? )...
She is going to get the crumb quilt that I have been putting together out of an old winding ways disaster. Now there was a quilt I couldn't fix, so I am repurposing that puppy into a crumb quilt by cutting it up into smaller pieces and putting it back together. Did I just confess to another quilt disaster? Sorry. I really do have some quilts that have turned out just fine.....but they all are an adventure!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Sodium perborate

I like antique fabrics: linens, crocheted pieces, knit pieces, etc. Since I have the antique fabric disease, I have been willed such things from my father's side of the family. Some go back to over 100 years ago. I knew some of the women who made these works of art. Obviously I am a mere slip of a girl.

My father's mother had them before I did and used them a lot. Unfortunately, she did not care for them properly and they came to me with huge, very old stains: blood, gravy, sauces of all sorts, wine, etc., etc.

I was wandering through an antique store with a huge collection of my favorite fabrics - old. The lady who was responsible for the fabric side of the antique store was pleased to meet someone who shared her passion and was kind enough to mourn with me about my "stains" problem. Then she gave me the answer: sodium perborate. She warned me that I would need to get it from the druggist.

I beelined to my pharmacy and had a chat with the druggist. The lady was right on both the druggist and the fix: sodium perborate.

Some of the stains took repeated, gentle treatments. Some of the stains continued as ghosts of their former state but if you know what you are looking at, .... Some stains just would not come out. Check with the druggist for his suggestions as to a formula to start with. I wound up doing a little pre-testing before I got serious with the treatment. When it was all said and done, I did not observe damage to the various fabrics.

If I am giving you a bum steer, please forgive me and let me know so I don't do it ever again. If it does good things for you, please let us know so we can rejoice with you. One last thing. Most of the fabrics I was dealing with are white. One of the recalcitrant fabrics was white, overprinted with red, green, black, and a khaki color. The colors are still vibrant. My mother is responsible for this piece so it has to date from the 50s. This particular stain is one of my ghosts. But I'm stubborn and I keep trying.

Best of luck.

Alvie
Old 12-11-2016, 04:05 PM

I am so sorry for you after all that work. I would try spraynet for you hair.