Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I solved my binding problem >

I solved my binding problem

I solved my binding problem

Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I Have a really big coffee can I just throw the loose binding in and set it on the floor next to my chair and pull from it. It works great, doesn't get wrinkled or dirty. I just finished binding my huge quilt and realized after I'd sewn it on to the front, that I had made it too wide for the seam allowance I took, so my binding is fairly empty :-(. Oh well, something to do better next time, because I wasn't about to rip it off at that point... I think it's one of my least favourite aspects of quilting.
I basically do the same thing except I use a repurposed basket purse from the seventies (ya know, the ones with the decoupaged lid) and set it between my feet at the machine. I accordian fold it in the basket and it comes out nice and neat.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM

I use a plastic grocery bag and loop the handles around one of the decorative knobs on the front of my sewing cabinet. I drop the binding into it and pull one end out of the side of the looped handles closest to the machine. Works perfectly every time. I wish I could take credit for this idea, but my friend and quilting instructor told me about it. I used to wrap it around a TP roll but this is easier.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
athomenow - I have followed multiple videos, trying new ideas. Now, you say stop 1/4 from the end and do the folding thing, which I do. You, however, say to start sewing 1/4 inch in, is that correct? I have always started sewing from the edge once I did the folding thing. Have I actually not be following instructions all this time (believe me, entirely possible!)
Michelle....I think Debra meant "start sewing 1/4" in"...meaning a quarter inch in ...the "in" was an abrieviation for inch. I'm probably being as clear as mud.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 PM

I roll mine up on an empty toilet paper roll. Put a shoelace or something similar through it to make a necklace an hang it around my neck. Works great.