Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I solved my binding problem >

I solved my binding problem

I solved my binding problem

Old 09-13-2014, 06:33 AM

I attach mine the way auntpiggylpn said but I throw it over my shoulder and just keep drawing it over and onto my machine. While it is behind me it sits on the little cabinet I have there so it is not on the floor and high up enough so it's easy to pull over and gravity is not working against me. Works for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I attach mine the way auntpiggylpn said but I throw it over my shoulder and just keep drawing it over and onto my machine. While it is behind me it sits on the little cabinet I have there so it is not on the floor and high up enough so it's easy to pull over and gravity is not working against me. Works for me.
I found the cardboard roll idea, but thank you so much much for the "put it in a container" idea. I am going to find one next time I do binding!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:42 AM

Better start saving the toilet paper tubes because I saw a commercial for some tp that is tubeless. So if they all go to this what will us quilters do...LOL
Old 09-13-2014, 08:41 AM

A plastic bag on the wrist works for me. The kind you get groceries
Old 09-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Janice that is a great idea. I have some binding to sew on and might give that a try. I've been rolling mine on to the fabric bolt cardboard core and just laying it on top of the quilt. It's so light that it doesn't weigh the quilt down. I wrap it around the core and pin it until I'm ready to use it. Then it is easy to just flip the core when I need more binding. Might sound big and bulky, but it works for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM

I loop my first piece around a piece of cardboard and anchor with a pin; then as I make the rest I just keep looping it around. When at the end, place another pin to secure it. I was taught this way by my mentor. It keeps the binding neat and whatever is left over, just stick a pin to secure it. you can use any type of cardboard - even cereal boxes. Works great.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 AM

I make a honey bun type roll and place it next to my right hand on the sewing machine bed. When I go around a corner I have to flip the bun but other than that I've never had a problem.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM

Great idea! For the leftover bindings I roll them up onto a towel cardboard and slip it over one of my hooks on my pegboard. That way its visible to me but out of my way. I also use the TP cardboards to keep my electrical cords neat.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 AM

I used to fight binding tangles too, now as I make it I fan fold it into a clean waste basket , when I'm ready t sew it on
I place the basket behind my chair and draw the binding over my shoulder then under the needle. I works best if I turn the waste basket so the binding feeds out in the same direction it will be sewn on. Oh, and don't wear your
fuzzy bathrobe, it acts like Velcro! A smooth fabric shirt is best, LOL!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:32 PM

I had that problem with a binding when I trimmed too close. For lack of something else to do I cut strips of batting to add under the binding as it was stitched on. It has not been washed yet so not sure how that will be but the binding is full.
Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I Have a really big coffee can I just throw the loose binding in and set it on the floor next to my chair and pull from it. It works great, doesn't get wrinkled or dirty. I just finished binding my huge quilt and realized after I'd sewn it on to the front, that I had made it too wide for the seam allowance I took, so my binding is fairly empty :-(. Oh well, something to do better next time, because I wasn't about to rip it off at that point... I think it's one of my least favourite aspects of quilting.