Burying the threads at the end.
Oh my goodness. I needed something to do while Gus was playing hockey this weekend (2 games back to back and I have a short attention span). So I brought the quilt I'm working on with me. 24 straight seams - start + finish = 48 sets of thread to knot and bury.
Clearly I haven't developed a good technique for this yet, and the ADD was kicking in big time. But I'm very glad that I got these buried yesterday and didn't wait until I have the border quilting done and the decorative FMQ done in the 17 squares (34 more ends to bury...) as I think the thread ends might have become the next embellishment.
It is not helping that I just want to be done with this particular project...
I started off using a loop of thread in my needle that I could stick the ends through, so that I didn't have to keep threading the needle. After breaking my loop thread 3 or 4 times, I switched to an "easy threading" needle (HAH!) and spent way too much time threading the needle each time. No directions on the package, and no access to my computer last night - and even now that I see how the John James needles work, still time consuming to thread each time. I think I need to use stronger thread for my loop (maybe the dreaded nylon/polyester).
There were so many ends to bury on this project as I didn't want to hassle with turning the quilt each time I reached an end (was quilting on the diagonal). I'm definitely seeing a benefit in turning the quilt and stitching in the ditch to reach the next starting point next time I attempt this type of design...
I'm tempted to order one of the spiral needles as those look much easier to thread.