Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process... >

I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Default I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

Burying the threads at the end.

Oh my goodness. I needed something to do while Gus was playing hockey this weekend (2 games back to back and I have a short attention span). So I brought the quilt I'm working on with me. 24 straight seams - start + finish = 48 sets of thread to knot and bury.

Clearly I haven't developed a good technique for this yet, and the ADD was kicking in big time. But I'm very glad that I got these buried yesterday and didn't wait until I have the border quilting done and the decorative FMQ done in the 17 squares (34 more ends to bury...) as I think the thread ends might have become the next embellishment.

It is not helping that I just want to be done with this particular project...

I started off using a loop of thread in my needle that I could stick the ends through, so that I didn't have to keep threading the needle. After breaking my loop thread 3 or 4 times, I switched to an "easy threading" needle (HAH!) and spent way too much time threading the needle each time. No directions on the package, and no access to my computer last night - and even now that I see how the John James needles work, still time consuming to thread each time. I think I need to use stronger thread for my loop (maybe the dreaded nylon/polyester).

There were so many ends to bury on this project as I didn't want to hassle with turning the quilt each time I reached an end (was quilting on the diagonal). I'm definitely seeing a benefit in turning the quilt and stitching in the ditch to reach the next starting point next time I attempt this type of design...

Cheers, K

I'm tempted to order one of the spiral needles as those look much easier to thread.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

Try the Spiral Eye needle (not the two second one WM sells)
A bit pricy but worth the money in ease of threading your needle and burying the knots. I don't knot the threads but just thread up the needle but work the thread back into the batting and out about 1/2" away from the start. Sometime I do a very small back stitch to begin.
The Spiral Eye needle makes all the difference.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I also use the spiral eye, love them
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Which size Spiral Eye? I'm thinking about ordering the Size 8 for quilting. I noticed a difference last night between using the size 10 or 11 between and the size 6 or 8 easy threading needle. I much prefer the thinner needle for getting back into the fabric, but the larger needle did leave a big enough hole for the knot to get back in there.

Cheers, K
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I have been using the self-threading needles to bury thread - the ones with the open notch on the end, so you just kind of force your thread into the notch. But I just got (and haven't yet used) this tool at JoAnn's - the new Clover thread pic. http://www.joann.com/search/_clover_thread_pic/ It will be helpful not only in burying threads (without threading a needle) but also in snagging and moving any dark threads that show up inside the quilt after it's been quilted. I think it will be a great tool to have. It's basically a very fine crochet hook with a comfortable handle.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

You can get a 5 needle package of the top threading needles for about $4 at Walmart. I'm sure the spiral eyes are better but Walmart is closer and it does make the job of buring the thread easier. The ones from Walmart have a 2 little grasper arms at the needle eye that you pop the thread down into position.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm with you and the spiral needle is a lifesaver for me! The only other thing I like even less is picking the paper out after fmq patterns, ugh!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You can get a 5 needle package of the top threading needles for about $4 at Walmart. I'm sure the spiral eyes are better but Walmart is closer and it does make the job of buring the thread easier. The ones from Walmart have a 2 little grasper arms at the needle eye that you pop the thread down into position.
Got them. Tried them. Don't particularly like them.

I have ordered the Spiral Eye needles, so hopefully they'll arrive soon.

Cheers, K
Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 AM

Sometimes it helps to do it as you go just so you don't have to do it all at the end but I know how stopping when you're on a roll quilting is not fun either.

On a totally different topic I love your avatar. We have a Corgi named Dill, he's the king of the house. Do you read The Daily Corgi blog? It's great.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 AM

I bury ends as I go. One thing I've done in recent years is slow down and enjoy the process. I used to be in such a rush to complete a project so I could start the next one that I was losing some of the pleasure of doing it to begin with. Now I try not to be so rushed. I used to hide the ends after the quilt was finished and absolutely hated it so I don't do it anymore.