Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

Blog Entries

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

I just washed some flannel to use as backing on one of my charity kid's quilts. I thought there was an excessive amount of fluff on my dryer lint screen. After just one washing it looks like guaze! I can't remember where I bought it and it has no labeling on the selvage. I looked at flannel at our new Hobby Lobby and they had a minimal selection and it is even cheesier that JoAnn's. I'll use up my stash of flannel and then never buy more. It's a shame as they usually have some nice " big boy" prints.

That's disappointing. I am new to quilting and I was looking forward to making quilts for the little ones in my life with flannel backs, since those were the ones I loved the most as a kid. Hmmm, I will probably try anyway. But this is a good heads up.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

I've found that kids (big and little) adore fleece on the back of quilts

I have sewn with a ton of flannel over the years & most brands are not made like they use to be.
    Recently I used Moda flannel & am in love with it. It is a really nice weight, a tighter weave & super soft.
    ~Dana~

I love Moda flannels also. I also use a lot of flannel sheets purchased from thrift stores for quilt backings. But I buy only the nice Portugese flannel ones.
    Sweet Caroline

I've heard good things about Connecting Threads flannel. I've had mixed results with flannel from JoAnn's. Some of it pilled very badly (and so became batting rather than backing) but others purchased at the same time didn't pill. Can't tell until it's washed.

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads flannel is nice. I made several baby quilts with it and it didn't shrink much at all. It's not linty either.
    Got fabric?

Buying flannel is a crap shoot these days.. you just never know till its washed what you've got. I have such mixed results .. I gave up.

i love working with flannel & use it alot in quilting- i do not buy flannel from joannes, hobby lobby or walmart---
    i always make sure the description says---double sided flannel...makes a huge difference
    the best (in my opinion ) is Benartex double sided flannel & Moda Woolies flannels- they are great- i've also bought lots of great flannels from fabric.com and a few other on line sites.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads has some beautiful flannel in bright colors on sale now. I've not used it, but it sure looks pretty!
    Sue

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast