Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think my days of quilting with flannel are over. >

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM

I have used a lot of flannel over the years (I have made about 100 receiving blankets, more than 100 burp cloths and flannel quilts). I always wash the flannel -- it does not matter the brand , I have had them all shrink various amounts. A couple of years ago, was sewing with LQS flannels only (they were on sale) and one shrank 4" in length.

I just got done making another set of receiving blankets -- I had bought some at Joanns and could only use about half of it after I washed it. Even though if felt good when I bought it, when it was washed it became very limp. So disappointing. Fortunately I had some left over from a previous project and was able to make what I needed.

I hope I don't need to work with it any more since the the quality is not as good as it was and the price of the LqS fabric is getting to be too much.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM

I often use flannel for my backings, but I always use quality flannel - not to stir up the debates - but Joann and Hobbly Lobby just doesn't have the quality I look for.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM

I love quilting with flannel. I just finished a twin size using flannel for the top and back. Found that flannel from Joanne's seems to be thinner and doesn't have the nice rich colors I can get at a LQS. Always look for flannel on sale come spring/summer and stock up.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 AM

Hancocks of Paducah has wonderful flannel. I agree flannel is not any fun to wash but if you get nice quality flannel it makes all the diffrence. Kids love the flannel and it is warm and cozy for them, for that reason I continue to use it.