Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think my days of quilting with flannel are over. >

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Maywood Studio has also had nice flannel in the past.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 AM

I bought some Sock Monkey flannel several years ago from Fabric.com, and it looked brand new after washing! I'm just finishing the quilt now!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I, myself, have found some good quality flannel at Wal Mart and at Hobby Lobby. I have also found some flannel at my LQS that left me disappointed. I think it is just like most other fabrics. There are good quality fabrics and those that are not so good. I have made many rag quilts out of flannel purchased at Wal Mart and of course they have to be washed a few times before giving them away. I have been very pleased with the results. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 AM

I was recently gifted a bunch of fleece. I was going to use it as batting. I don't know why I never thought to use it as backing. I make a lot of donation baby quilts this would be a good place to use it up. My sister works at a pregnancy center and I send the quilts there. I like the baby quilts as they are faster to finish and easier to FMQ.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM

You need to take what is left and march back to the store to ask for at least a refund. That is why they can offer such "good" deals and run many small quilt shops out of business, by selling inferior goods. I wouldnt buy spit at Joanns and I use very little from Hobby Lobby, usually the notions/batting/patterns when they are on sale and not much of that. There are so many sources you can buy from that have reliable fabric. I know if you are doing it for charity you need to save as much $ as you can, but why waste your time on something like this?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 AM
T.

ANd they pill, I even bought the one that says "pill-proof"
Old 03-09-2013, 12:29 PM

In the early 1990s I bought some queen size flannel sheets for quilt backing and they haven't pilled yet. However the flannel sheets I bought 5 years ago are a mess from all the pilling. JoAnn's flannel is poor quality indeed. I have about 10 yards of it and can't use it for the front of my quilts because it pilled so badly.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Never bought flannel from JoAnn's. I always got mine at Quilt shops which carry some very good flannel. Went with my sister to her quilt shop and it was 12.50 a yard....That can be a lot when making a rag flannel quilt but well worth it. Neer had any complaints from fabric I bought at quilt stores...only minimal l one with cottons. JoAnn does have some good cotton and flannel but feel it..take a piece that you are happy with and feel the difference. I would take unwashed pieces with me to check out the feel.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Connecting Threads flannel is excellent! After I preshrink it, it's so fluffy and soft without using softener. I bought some Joann's and used it with the Connecting Threads flannel. The CT flannel doesn't stretch the way Joann's does. I use the flannel as backing for baby blankets. Sometimes I luck out and find it in CT's clearance section.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Connecting Threads' flannell is CONSISTENTLY very good quality. Heavy, looks the same after it has been washed. I never hesitate to buy from CT. Stay away from JoAnns, Walmart, HL - you get what you pay for. Right now CT has a great sale on some flannels - and beautiful quality. Sometimes I wonder if they are actually a Moda with a different label. Give them a try at least one time before throwing "all flannel " out the window.