Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I took a Paper-Piecing class >

I took a Paper-Piecing class

I took a Paper-Piecing class

Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Don't use freezer paper. It's too stiff. Go get the cheapest coputer/copy paper you can find, and use that. It works so much better. Or at some quilt shops or on line you can find special paper made for PP. It is a very light paper. i even think it is a recycled paper. Then when it comes time to remove the paper, lightly sprints the paper with water, and that will help tear the paper. Another hint, if you fold the paper on the seam, it will tear easyier, too. You need to try it again, It reall is fun. Use that freezer paper for the freezer.Not PP.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Oh!!! Don't say that!!! :cry: My next class is paper piecing!!
You go, Grama !!!!!!!!! You can do it.

Let me know how it goes, I have some good patterns for you !!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 AM

I've taken the bull by the horns, and decided to try SulaBugs BOM "Houses" paper piecing project! I've finished block one (Church) and am trying to embellish it a bit so it's not too plain. I used the only paper I had on hand - photocopy paper in my printer - MUCH too thick! I had a bit of difficulty with the material shifting, and have been to the 2 closest cities and nobody has white freezer paper. I may have to go e-bay shopping! The class instructor was right... this can become an addictive hobby! LOL! Jacqueline, you were right - spritzing the paper with water made it a lot easier to remove! OK - we're among friends.... I couldn't find my spritzer so I licked the seams. :roll:
Old 02-20-2011, 03:38 PM

I bought a simple book on paper piecing and love it. Make my own copies at office depot. Very happy with my first project.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 AM

Well, I had my second/last class on PP. I love my stars and the colors I have, and I really liked the PP process. But, a word of warning. Be very accurate on squaring/trimming the blocks. I thought I was being very careful, but found the little sliver I was off made it so my stars weren't matching quite right. Now I have to go back and trim them all again. I'm fairly new to any quilting and I think accuracy is true for all quilting, but my thought is it's even more so in PP. Is that right?
No real harm done, just a little more time and a lesson learned. I really like PP and hope to do more.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM

I did a quick class using Judy Niemeyer certified instructor and mostly watched ( intimidated beginner) and then did the parts at home...liked the results well enough that I did a king sized pineapple block quilt...and that almost make me loopy with 90 blocks that had to built one at a time! I am slightly handicapped and likely ever so slightly dyslexic...so if I can do it so can anyone. Newsprint seems best...but sometimes getting a print done of the pattern can be an issue if copyrighted and you do not own, or cannot rent a copy machine . As for freezer paper...I use it for some complex curves and when glue basting, seriously a wonderful technique, but I have never used it for an entire block. That whole concept of fold it all, iron on fabrics, sew along side the fold, trim, add more etc etc...well that is sure a lot more complicated than the newsprint way. Oh and another thing...I tossed that add a quarter ruler...tons faster and a 1/4" guesstimation is all you need. So what if it isn't exact, with all those tiny stitches it will never come loose and besides... it is on the back..
Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM

I just watched some tuts on youtube about paper piecing. No wonder you got frustrated with the freezer paper.. I'm going to try the other way. Wish me luck.