Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall >

Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 AM

Try a tiered towel rack maybe?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM

One of the wooden ladders would look cute. Also I want my husband to make me a kind of coat tree but with movable arms about 12 to 15" long that will fit in a corner. It will have a main center beam or pole such as 4x4 ''that goes to ceiling in your case it could have a smaller platform to stand with. Then 5 or 6 arms that move so each quilt could be viewed.This also looks beautiful in a den or living room.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM

A ladder is the quickest and easiest. Make a couple rods to extend out the higher rungs and use clamps to hold them secure. Do not try to hang everything. Only a few bright colored to grab attention. Fold the rest and display flowing out of a big basket or tub. Have a few overlapping each other on a table. This gets them curious and draws them into the booth. Wrap couple with ribbon and a stuffed animal or toy truck as a reminder of a great gift idea. Get cards printed (vista print is cheap) for future purchases. I would have a basket of smaller items - bibs, burp clothes, etc. - for small buyers(they will think about you later.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
First I would get rid of the standard table set up. They tend to block people from getting up close and personal at a show ... and in doing so, I truly believe they block sales!
IF baby is your theme, then I see you setting the stage with three pieces of furniture ... a crib, a small dresser and possibly a change table.

It will take a lot of organization and planning, but with some prep at home along with practice set ups, you can do it! The time restraints make it quite difficult ... you need to be organized and practiced the set up several times in advance. The quickest and best way to accomplish it will be to have extra bodies to help you, to make sure you can meet the time limits.

Is there a fast assemble baby crib? Or bring it assembled and just carry in, as such.
I visualize, quilts folded and hanging over the edge. It would give people easy accessibility to touch and feel ... which I suspect would encourage sales, rather than a static display with the "no touch" feel!
Extras can easily be inside the crib.
Perhaps an extension could be created to mount on the long side of the crib, and give you height for more hanging space.

I also see a small dresser, that could be carried in, with the drawers filled. High enough, so you are not stooping all the time, and so that you can work off it, as your "Office". It would have whatever supplies you need (invoices, bags, tools for set up, etc). If you have smaller items for sale, extras could be stored in there.

The third might be a baby change table .... again to set and drape your items.

Have things bagged/labelled before you leave home, so that you know exactly where they go at set up time, without having to think, what is going to look better.

Bonne Chance!
I love this idea and I can see a wicker baby stroller for display and storage too. You are very creative and if doing this on a regular basis, finding pieces and working the theme is perfect. smaller space, smaller pieces and bigger.......
I like it.
peace
Old 02-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I love this idea and I can see a wicker baby stroller for display and storage too. You are very creative and if doing this on a regular basis, finding pieces and working the theme is perfect. smaller space, smaller pieces and bigger.......
I like it.
peace
Thanks Ube ... I know a lot of others don't see it this way. And oh, a wicker stroller would be so lovely!

What I saw was a good way to contain the quilts on display, while encouraging the potential customers to touchy-feely. It's a sales strategy that if the customer touches, there is more of a chance a purchase will result. Plus it would be good and stable. Add on that if someone looks at the quilt, and does not fold it back up properly, it can easily be contained inside the crib, without fear of it falling on the floor.

Even the nicely folded quilts on a table can be an avalanche waiting to happen.

So many times I have been at shows, and been interested, but not looked, let alone touched, because the display was not inviting .... or appeared just too flimsy that I didn't want to risk being the one who caused a crash! (and yes, I have been at a show, where I saw a display of quilts, go down!)

With so many people having vans and the like now, a crib could be filled at home, and carried in to a show, ready for a quick set up. Likewise the side dresser that I suggested for the office!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks Ube ... I know a lot of others don't see it this way. And oh, a wicker stroller would be so lovely!

What I saw was a good way to contain the quilts on display, while encouraging the potential customers to touchy-feely. It's a sales strategy that if the customer touches, there is more of a chance a purchase will result. Plus it would be good and stable. Add on that if someone looks at the quilt, and does not fold it back up properly, it can easily be contained inside the crib, without fear of it falling on the floor.

Even the nicely folded quilts on a table can be an avalanche waiting to happen.

So many times I have been at shows, and been interested, but not looked, let alone touched, because the display was not inviting .... or appeared just too flimsy that I didn't want to risk being the one who caused a crash! (and yes, I have been at a show, where I saw a display of quilts, go down!)

With so many people having vans and the like now, a crib could be filled at home, and carried in to a show, ready for a quick set up. Likewise the side dresser that I suggested for the office!
I love your set up suggestion and it would solve the "what is it for" problem that I have encounter with quilts. People here are used to see quilts only on bed for decorative function. I may choose a clothing rack solution for this particular show because I have no help at all, but I think a changing table and a stroller would be easy to bring, great for giving a homely touch to the display and usefull. Thanks for taking the time to share your vision!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Whatever you decide: Good luck and happy sales to you ! :-)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 AM

At our guilds quilt show, they attach the small quilts to white muslin on the racks that they hang the bed size quilts. It allows all quilts to be viewed.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 PM

These are all such great ideas! What have you used for getting height when you have a limited number of tables?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 PM

just the ideas i was looking for. thx for all your sharing. i do believe this is the way america needs to go. people going and selling their things. i did hear just the other day, that 'craft show' items are/ have to compete with the goods straight from another country at 3/4's the price sometimes. sooooo you know who wins the most sales, at times. maybe it would just all even out in the end......