Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas wanted for making queen size quilt with a panel..please.

Ideas wanted for making queen size quilt with a panel..please.

MY DGD will be graduating next year (2013) and I want to make her a quilt. I have a printed panel of horses and now wonder what was I thinking to buy this without a plan in mind. What are your ideas
    for me to be able to use the panel and make this a quilt that she will love. I have several other pieces of horse fabric that I could also use. Thanks for your ideas, pictures and thoughts.
    Sandy

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Look at some of the round robin threads in the Members Swap section of this site, you'll see how others add different rounds to center panels and blocks. Plenty of inspiration there.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Banned
    difficult to make recommendations without seeing the panel or knowing the size of the panel and the size you want the quilt to be. Not enough info.

Banned
    I'd center the panel and do 9-patches around it
    Each encirclement (can't call it a row, since it would go all around the panel)
    Every additional encirclement would be larger 9P.
    At the largest one I'd use the other horse fabric as the center in some, not all of them.

I just recently finished up a panel quilt that I did round robin style. I added different styles of pieced borders I designed. In places I put simple strips of fabrics for borders to get it up the the measurements I needed for my pieced borders.

Here is a link to pictures I posted of the one I did. flannel quilt I am working on

Edited to add, here was a neat idea for a panel in the picture section as well:

Snow White Quilt
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-01-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Sometimes people like to offset panels too and not go around it. What I like to do is put it on the wall and try on different things around it. You can use paper to test options...

Blog Entries
    is it square or rectangular? knowing shape may help spark ideas
    Mom to 1, Gma to 6, Quilting since 2004, Guild member since Jan 2009.
    http://www.onecouchquilts.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/grammatjr/boards/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    There's so many ideas you could do. You could do what gollytwo said. You could do different size borders and put blocks between them. It's endless. I'm curious what others will come up with.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Make borders around it, some plain, one using the horse fabric, maybe some of them having blocks (just squares for rectangles) or some 4- or 9-patches. Use any combination of the above to get to the size you need. You could do the same if it was off center, also.
    Imagine what would be accomplished if no one worried about who got the credit.

I found a pattern on the Timeless Treasues site that uses a panel in the center with 6 1/2" plain blocks and pinwheels around it. The pattern is Grand Central but Swirly Girls Design. The fabric I am using includes a border strip so I am adding borders and making mine into a queen also. It looks so easy I almost don't need to look at the patternName:  Grand Central-Quilt.gif
Views: 3464
Size:  203.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast