Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Fabric could Speak >

If Fabric could Speak

If Fabric could Speak

Old 11-30-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is generally why I only buy for projects as not just for stash. I'm afraid that I would a) forget why I bought it; or b) by the time I found it again, I'd hate it!
Me too I only have about 4 or 5 fabric that have no pattern intended and still can figure out what to use them for. The rest is kits for patterns I make myself
Old 12-01-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I also keep the pattern with the fabric for this exact reason! The problem is, when the fabric is great it goes with so many other things to make. I really have to use my will power not to get into it.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:20 AM

I have designated one shelf unit just for future projects. As I find fabrics I think I might use for one of the projects I add it to the pile. I finally had to start putting notes on the piles to remind myself which one goes to which project, especially the bolts of fabrics. Now my project unit is completely full and over flowing but told myself I couldn't start new project until I had what I've already started finished or at least to the point of quilting. I have one quilt on the frame, 4 projects on the design wall waiting to be quilted, 2 lap size quilts hanging up waiting to be quilted but need to design the quilting layout for them and have another project waiting on the side lines while I look for the perfect fabrics for it.

Attaching notes sure helped me to these projects as it may be a year or more before I get to them.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM

I forget I already bought fabric for a project, and buy more. By the time I get around do doing it, I find I've got enough yardage to make several quilts.

when I go into my fabric room - I imagine the fabric is saying "Pick me! Pick Me!"

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-01-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM

I keep a spreadsheet (I know I'm a freak, but a notebook would also work) that contains all my projects, even if they are just ideas. When I have a pattern, I jot down notes on my spreadsheet or I scan/print the pattern page with the fabric requirements and make notes.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Wow... some of you are so organized and self-controlled! I just keep lots of fabrics around, no projects in mind for most of it, and when I want to make something I have my own stash to shop from. It's like a painter... who needs to keep all the colors in his paintbox for when inspiration strikes. I have a full paintbox... but there's always room for a fantastic new color!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:16 AM

I do the same thing, in fact, I sometimes find the fabric all folded together and don't even like the fabric anymore! I think to myself "what the heck was I thinking when I bought this fabric!"
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM

That's me! Only twice have I bought fabric "just because I like it!" After at least 3 years, both pieces are still unused!! Budget also being an issue I buy for the new project. (rather pick around in the store that in my cupboard!)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM

Mine would say - "Cut me already - I have been sitting for a special project for some time now'!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is generally why I only buy for projects as not just for stash. I'm afraid that I would a) forget why I bought it; or b) by the time I found it again, I'd hate it!
That's always been my focus too...I have purchased some kids prints for baby quilts and pillowcases over the past couple of years, but I am trying desperately to keep my stash manageable. It seems my kids and their friends (all in their mid 20's-early 30's) are now all having babies... so I can whip up a small quilt on a whim with what I have.