Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you talking about when you speak of your stash?

I have to clean my sewing area today and tomorrow as two of our children are coming to visit and would probably like to sit at the table (where I sew.) I looked at "my stash". When I watch photos of your stashes, I see nicely folded fabrics lined up in a row. I don't have nice pieces like that. Most of my "stash" is made up of remnants of other projects, some jellyrolls, fat quarters I picked up and a couple of charms. I have lots of 2 1/2 leftover strips or squares organized by color in plastic boxes from something else. Is that my stash? I guess I am deprived! I don't spend as much money as some of you do, but buy my share of fabrics usually for a quilt I have in mind. Am I alone in that?

Probably not. I have a substantial stash (much to my husbands chagrin) It is all neatly folded and tucked away (most of the time)
    I love being able to shop from my sewing room for my next project!

For many, many years, my stash was one small box of scraps. Now I have three boxes of fabric and two small boxes of scraps. That is not a huge stash, but I have manufacturered two quilts out of it recently without making any other purchases.

LOL....I don't have near as much as most of the stashes I have seen on here! I do have my share, mostly for what I am working on, or plan to work on.

Mine is somewhere in the middle. I have a nice collection of yardage, but LOTS of remnants. I have plastic drawers with "foods", 2.5 inch strips, misc size strips, squares of various sizes, WIPs, I'spy squares, and HSTs of various sizes. Then I have boxes under my cutting table filled with little pieces cut off as I work. From time to time I go through them and sort into the drawers.

I don't have much at all..mainly because I've only started quilting in recent times. I will probably tend to get things as I need for a project in mind. Mind you..I have a few extra little pieces (about 6..lol) that I have no idea yet what I'm going to do.

Blog Entries
    Mine is not as big as some, but I have more then I will probably ever use :oops:

I buy what I like and figure it out later :wink: LOL

One with the biggest stash wins! What? I have no clue! I know I will never use all I have but I give it a good try.

I have 5 (65 qt) plastic totes filled with just scraps, 2 large drawers filled with already cut squares and strips, plus a whole ton of yardage, ruler folded in drawers and another 18-20 (65 qt) plastic totes filled with yardage. I am trying to not shop for fabric. LOL

most of my "stash" is projects that I am going to start, or left over pieces from previous projects. I have one drawer that I put my "cutoff's" into but that's the extent of my stash. Oops. this just posted twice, sorry don't know how this happened

most of my "stash" is projects that I am going to start, or left over pieces from previous projects. I have one drawer that I put my "cutoff's" into but that's the extent of my stash.

My stash is buying kits I like when they are on sale. I love collecting batiks. I also love to buy a pattern I really like then I'll see the fabric I love to make that pattern and not really having enough time to use all this fabric, so I keep collecting. I like to justify my stash collecting while I am still working full time so that one day when my income is less I will have enough fabric and patterns to keep me happy for a while. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

IMHO, your stash is any fabric you have in your posession whether scraps or whole pieces, whether a small shoe box or a roomful.

I've been collecting fabric for at least 10 years, plus people know I do all sorts of crafts (or have in the past) so I've been given other people's stashes as well...You know like "hey this was in my mom's closet when we were cleaning out the house to sell it, I thought you might be able to use it"...as they give me a big box of fabric or yarn or WIPs. Still don't have nearly as much as some I've seen on here though!

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    I've been given other people's stashes as well...You know like "hey this was in my mom's closet when we were cleaning out the house to sell it, I thought you might be able to use it"...as they give me a big box of fabric or yarn or WIPs. Still don't have nearly as much as some I've seen on here though!
    A lot of my stash was acquired that way too. And I save scraps, so I have a lot of those.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I have 5 (65 qt) plastic totes filled with just scraps, 2 large drawers filled with already cut squares and strips, plus a whole ton of yardage, ruler folded in drawers and another 18-20 (65 qt) plastic totes filled with yardage. I am trying to not shop for fabric. LOL
    I can be at your house anytime lol

I am definitely not like you. My stashing capabilities are increasing by the year. I do have a quilter friend that has a tiny stash that she keeps in the night stand in her guest bedroom and it is not even full. LOL Mine doesn't even fit in a dresser.

Lol mine is stashed through out my house. My DH could have a heck of a yard sale if something happened to me.

I don't have much either. I have some pieces from my teen years that I purchased while visiting Lancaster (which is actually where I live now), scraps from projects, and pieces I have picked up at yard sales. I'm ALWAYs impressed with the beautiful fabric "stash" pictures, but I am thankful for what I have and maybe one day I will move in with one of them ;-)

Anything left over or in waiting, I probibly have less than others more than some.

Could be called stach, stuffed, poked, crammed, hid or hiding, omg forgot about that, and really like, must get some of that !! :)

I agree with CC Quilt Girl! :)

Blog Entries
    I have a pretty extensive stash. I inherited it from my Grandma when she died, and also from my sister when she decided she didn't like quilting. I also got 11 boxes of scraps from a friend that decided she was never going to use scraps again. so I do have a large stash.

I am pretty new to this - but I have yardage in a couple of tubs - try to keep it neat but usually gets all mixed up when I dig through it. I have some smaller pieces and I was throwing away all of my scraps but I am trying to keep some of them now. So I am new to the game but I do have a sufficient supply of yardage that I won't be bored if I get snowed in this winter....

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    IMHO, your stash is any fabric you have in your posession whether scraps or whole pieces, whether a small shoe box or a roomful.
    This is most like me. Stash is anything that isn't nailed down and can be sewn together. :D

Without going into "how much" I have (because it's irrelevant) I like to keep my eyes peeled for things that speak to me, that make my heart leap, that might not necessarily be a "new" line but is new to me. And I like to have at least a few fabrics that go together so I'm not stuck with a yard of "what do I do with this?"

The goal in quilting is not to keep up with the Jones's, but to be satisfied with what works for you. If you like to have folded fabrics all in a row, have at it! If you like to use up virtually every scrap before you buy more, that's great too! :D

Alot of my stash is clothes that are going to be recycled.I also hit alot of thrift stores on deal days (the 2nd Tues of the month, you can get 5 pc for $5.00). Your stash does not have to come from a fabric store. I also hit alot of garage sales and pick up the cutest tops for .25 that are cotton, and would look beautiful in a quilt!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast