Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you talking about when you speak of your stash?

Dix-anytime you're in the area, feel free to come by.

Well I admit my stash is HUGE!
    But if I didn't do quilts and kits for others it would be smaller. As I buy alot of what a customer wants not maybe what I would use if the quilt were for me.
    Every stash is precious!

I have about 6 shelves in a cabinet and a laundry basket of scraps. I sort by theme, kids, holiday, NYC, batiks, floral, etc. The other thing I have which I highly recommend is our "art shelf". Over the years I have collected beads, buttons, floss, ribbons, decoupage scraps, glitter, doll hair, felt, buttons, each in a plastic shoe box. My Mom was great at picking up odds and ends at the flea market. I use the stuff all the time!

I pick up little scraps......I mean just scraps from different people who are tired of moving them from place to place or just tired of looking at it. Odds and ends, really. I am to the place that the quart size ziplocks can't be zipped and I need to either find larger containers or something. I've seperated the flannel pieces and the novelty pieces with glitter. And the solids, not enough to make different bags. So I've taken ziplocks and laid them on the floor and started with a hand full walking by and dropping the color for that pile on the bag and it looks almost organized, again. But, for the larger pieces, like to fold, it takes forever and a day. they get quick fold and left on the ironing board and I make myself do a stack each time I am in the utility room. I almost have an organized 'stash'. Almost means, with drawers for the larger folded, no color or design just folded out of sight. I still have stacks of it. Times get hard again, I can sew to my content. I call it lap top sewing because I don't have room to spread out. You who have room are so blessed. I'm still happy as a pig in mud.

Blessings,
    Ruth

Your stash is where ever you can shop at midnight when you can't sleep and a quilt is floating around in your head. Some are able to keep their stash in their computer with a plastic card nearby, but me I have to have my stash in totes in my sewing room.

Gosh no, you're not alone. I don't have a large stash, but it's one that I've been accumulating for many years. I am a bargain hunter and a mood shopper; when I see fabric that I really like, is excellent quality, at an excellent price, I buy it and it goes into the stash. When I see a quilt pattern I want to make, I can often get all the fabric I require off my own shelves.

Don't worry. Your stash will continue to grow. Just keep buying fabric for future quilts. It's not the size anyway. Yours is a stash. Mine isn't that big either.

My husband was laughing at me today. My father in law was throwing out 2 of those big 65 quart rubbermaid tubs, and I got them "for my fabric". He was laughing because I couldn't even fill half a tub! LOL!

But, the last laughs on him! I have a smaller one already full in the closet, and I have been buying here and there on ebay, with plans to get more, LOl.

At the rate I'm going, I will have them full in no time!

Blog Entries
    Gilla, don't feel bad that you don't have a stash like some of the others here. Many just buy the fabric they need for the next quilt. I don't have the room to have a huge stash and would like to discipline myself to not buy unless I have a project in mind. What's happened with some of the fabric I've bought is that I am no longer 'in love' with it, then you're stuck having spent that money that you won't see again. So, there is nothing wrong with just buying what you need. To each his/her own.

I am with you, I buy as I need for projects. I also have lots of left overs. Never even sure how to separate,:color, sizes, print, etc.??? But it sure is fun, love to just look at the bits I have. The thrift stores or yard sales are good places to pick a little here and there.

I am fortunate to have a large stash of fabric collected since the late 1980s. It is stored in a closet in my sewing room and grows since I never seem to have all that I need for any project and have to buy more! I need a larger closet! BTW this does not include the 9 plastic containers under my sewing table! I do not "browse" in fabric shops much anymore, tho, which helps.

That's the same for me. It's a lot of material leftover from previous projects or projects I plan to do in the future. I need to do a scrappy quilt one of these days.

Hello fellow Texan!!! LOL My stash consists of fabrics that I have had for a lot of years and fabrics that I have been given by friends and family over the years. It has grown to more than I would have ever imagined. I have never been able to throw away any scraps left from any kind of project. Recently I organized all of these so that my grand daughter and I would be able to see them easily and now do not plan to buy anything unless it is needed as a blending fabric in a specific project. Today I will be getting myself and GD started on a project to use a lot of the scraps. There is a tute here showing the use of adding machine tape (3") a sort of paper piecing. Various sized strips are sewn "across" the tape making a "roll" of striped pieced fabrics to use in other projects. I thought this was a great way to get scraps ready for using in future project.

I have a largae stash of fabric even several full bolts of basic stuff like black, white, red etc. I make a lot of Linus quilts so that is a good excuse to constantly pick up bargins. I also have fabric and materials for heirloom sewing, a big tub of yardage suitable for backing. When I had a number of handquilting commissions I used to pick up yardage whenever I got a good price. I also have lots of speciality things like trims, stabilizers, cording, handkerchiefs etc. etc. I have a huge stash of thread for sewing, quilting, serging and embroidery as well as several thousand dollars worth of embroidery software etc. Lets not forget the rulers, stencils, markers, mats, cutters and all the other gadgets etc. needed for creative sewing.

The older you get, the more stash you build. Organized? What's that?

Blog Entries
    I ditto that Mtnmama. While I'm working I can afford to buy what I want for "when I retire." Hopefully that won't be too much longer.

I do not buy fabric to keep as statch. I can not afford to. I have found from previous sewing that material that I have on hand is not exactly what I want so I go out and buy what I want to make the current project. I buy material to match patterrn that I like. Sometimes I will change my mind about a color for the pattern but I have also learned to " speak up" when having help picking out my fabric on fabric that I do not like.

Blog Entries
    I was told by another quilter that the correct name for a stash is "library".

I add all kinds of "books" to my library all the time. I want the biggest library in the country.

I wish I didn't have a large stash. In my sewing room i have 2 cabinets nicely folded and stacked fabric. Another cabinet with books, laces and everything else.
    In my garage I have around 29 (down one container) of the largest plastic containers you can buy full of fabric. It is a real pain to start moving things around to get to the right container. I have each one marked what is in it. That is the result of working in a fabric store. I have my own now.
    I wish now i didn't have so much. I have gave alot away and quilted alot.

I have some of everything, all stored in different sizes of bins. I have bins with patterns matched up to fabrics ready to become a project. I have yardage in plastic three-drawer-style bins. I have fat-quarter-sized pieces in separate bins, uncut fat quarters folded in smaller bins, and I have small bins holding small scraps. I don't throw much away; however, I don't save my selvages or pieces smaller than one inch. I have separate bins for Christmas fabric and landscape fabric, and also for flannel. My stash is large enough now that if I see a pattern I like, I generally have everything I need to get started on it.

The adding machine tape sounds like a good idea.
    Not being able to throw anything out, I have quite a few rolls from when I used to use it under hard to sew fabrics.
    It made it easier to sew on napped or slippery fabrics, or fabrics that don't like to feed.
    Have any of you used it to make borders for your quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I do not buy fabric to keep as statch. I can not afford to. I have found from previous sewing that material that I have on hand is not exactly what I want so I go out and buy what I want to make the current project. I buy material to match patterrn that I like. Sometimes I will change my mind about a color for the pattern but I have also learned to " speak up" when having help picking out my fabric on fabric that I do not like.
    True! I find that when I make something for a loved one they often want something else then I have in my stash. So off I am to buy more. I do have plenty at home for quilts I want to make because most of my stash was bought based on my taste.

I was told by another quilter that the correct name for a stash is "library".

I suppose we could also call all our quilting supplies, "our inventory", but I like stash the best.

I have a wall of fabric stored on put it together yourself units. Insulation factor!!! It is amazing how even with this much fabric I usually have to hit the LQS for, you guessed it....very light or very dark whatever. I like scrappy and never seem to have enough variety of the lights and darks. My stash has a big hole in the color range...pink, now that I have GDs the hole isn't as big as it was last year.

If any of you would like to get rid of any of your "stashes" I would gladly take it off your hands. I am new to quilting again. I haven't made anything in 23 years. Right now I am making a jigsaw puzzle quilt from old shirts, pillowcases, and anything else that I can get my hands on. I have a part time job that just barely pays the bills so I don't have the money to go out and buy fabric or anything. ANY items would be very appreciated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast