Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could have any iron which would it be?? >

If you could have any iron which would it be??

If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 06-25-2016, 01:35 PM

I know this an old thread, but I'm in the market for a new iron and I've been Googling a lot of different iron reviews.

I have an el cheapo B&D that I paid $10 for it. I like it but it is lightweight and only 1200 watts so it doesn't press very well. I don't use steam so I can't say how hot that would be.

I also have a Rowenta that I absolutely hate because it drips and spits if using steam. I've used it for dry ironing but it just doesn't feel right in my hand. I can't seem to "bond" with this iron.

I also have a B&D Classic. The soleplate has always "dragged" on my fabric and the holes pucker the fabric also. I used it very seldom and last week I tried to use it again but it quit working. It wouldn't even heat up so I use it as a decoration on a shelf in my sewing room.

I've thought about the Oliso but after reading so many negative reviews about it, I decided against that one. Then, I was looking at the T-Fal FV4495 for $47 on Amazon and the Shark Ultimate Professional G1505 for $50 on Amazon. They both had good reviews. What I really want is a Reliable Velocity but I can't find one anywhere.

Why does buying an iron have to be such an ordeal??

Last edited by retired2pa; 06-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 PM

I am in the same boat. I bought a Rowenta Pro8080 two years ago and loved it, but it just quit working---won't heat up at all. Two years isn't that long for a $100+ iron in my book, so am disappointed. Not sure what to buy now!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:53 PM

I had the Velocity - loved it. Went to buy filters for it earlier this year and there were barely none to be had.
The one person who listed any was a trustworthy seller, but she could only sell what she could get and I wasn't too sure how long her supply would last. I got a gift certificate from Amazon anyway so it seemed a good time to try the Oliso.

I bought the yellow Oliso. I see that Reliable has the models with the separate tank, and those should stay around for a bit. Might go back to one of those if the Oliso stops working well. I will not buy another Rowenta!

Since I have the Pfaff ironing board that was sold with gravity feed irons, I could use one of those, too.

Laurastar has me drooling but the PRICE!

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 06-25-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:17 PM

The Reliable irons really do seem to be the only ones that have been shown by professional testers & everyday reviewers alike not to spit water. My brother & SIL had a Reliable iron before they upgraded to a Reliable steamer. I must say, the Reliable Vivio 150GC they have is an absolute dream to use. So easy to get wrinkles out of large pieces of fabric & no need to worry about distorting the fabric. I am saving up to get one. They got theirs on sale, but it was still over $100 -- double what I paid for my Rowenta iron (it died, so I'm using one of my mom's old irons until I can get a new one or the steamer).
Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

My old Classic Black and Decker iron feel to it's death so I bought another one. Yuk! The new ones are nothing like the older ones. The sole plate is not smooth, it doesn't come on when you turn it on, you have to shake it to get it activated. It takes a long time to reheat when it auto shuts off and then the water will reheat and sputter. Why do companies cut corners so much the product isn't worth buying?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:35 PM

I have a lot of irons. I like them all for different applications (solid plate dry iron for applique, steam generator for heavy duty tons of ironing), but my favorite, go-to, every day iron is the yellow Oliso that pops up. It has a long time before it shuts off and a very long cord.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM

I've had a Rowenta steam generator for almost 15 years and it still works as well as the day I bought it. When/if it fails I will replace it with another. I sew garments, particularly tailored garments as well as quilts and quantities of steam are very necessary and I love the fact that I can steam away for hours without having to refill it.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:56 AM

I have the Reliable Maven. Awesome iron! Hot hot! Awesome steam. They look "vintage" but don't judge it by its looks. It is a workhorse. A new, smaller one one will be available this summer.

I have a newer Rowenta that I also like but it is not as hot as the Owenta I had for 25 years before it finally gave up the ghost. Ah, the do-gooders who want to protect us from ourselves by "improving" our appliances.
Sandy
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 AM

Amazon has the Continental iron with all your wants...I love mine.... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....QL._SX425_.jpg

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I would like to purchase a dry iron that is 1600 watts or higher, with a stainless-steel soleplate and NO auto turnoff. But I don't think such an iron exists, or at least I can't find it, even after exhaustive research. Boo hoo.

Cheryl
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 AM

I've had many irons. I have an Oliso 1600 currently and really like it. I had a Rowenta steam generator. It was okay. Not great. I also had a LauraStar steam generator that I paid a fortune for. It did last over 10 years with heavy use. They had gone up so much in price that when it quit working, I couldn't make myself pay that much for another iron.

I got my Oliso from Bed, Bath & Beyond. They let me use my 20% off coupon and I used all of the gift cards that I get from the credit card rewards programs so ended up paying less the $25 on my credit card. Score!