Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you did not like it then - do you like it now? >

If you did not like it then - do you like it now?

If you did not like it then - do you like it now?

Old 06-07-2015, 04:00 PM

I finish the quilt top, no matter what. Then it'll go in the UFO bin. A few years later, I'll pull it out and play with it on the LA frame. Either the quilting is gonna make that quilt or it's not.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Is it for you? If it's not a gift or a commission, call it a loss. Life is too short to make yourself miserable doing something that's supposed to be fun.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

My DH says I never made a quilt I didn't like.
peace
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM

So far, this has happened to me only once. I donated the unfinished quilt top and fabrics to someone.

It turned out that the quilt had too many fabrics and colors in it for me. My color blindness just didn't let me put it together in a pleasing (to me) manner. The good Lord only knows how many times I tried to make it work...

I learned my lesson and now my quilts use no more than 5 fabrics.ys
Old 06-07-2015, 05:12 PM

I have found that when I put something aside without any deadline as far as when I have to pick it up again most of the time I figure out what to do with it. If I force myself to finish something I hate it will usually get ruined.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 PM

It was imbedded in my brain from the time I first started sewing to finish what I started. I was not allowed cut another project until the previous one was completed. To this day I can't bring myself to start another project without finishing. Once And only once did I get sick of working on something and it was apparent it was never going to get better and I would never like it... so after many hours of work .... I just picked it up and tossed it out. I pulled it out of the trash a few times , as the guilt was starting to take over. Then the next morning on trash day I picked it up and walked it to the trash can out at the street and tossed it. I walked back to the house feeling like I had had scored a victory over my "trained" brain.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 AM

Actually, I do more of just the opposite, I liked it then, but don't like it now! LOL! I know, I'm weird! When I don't like it anymore, I just give it away, surely someone will love it!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
my quilting experience is usually like a roller coaster. Starts out with wild enthusiasm, progresses to second guessing when half way done with piecing, when the top is done I usually dislike it intensely. I think I've just been looking at it too much because usually after sitting a week or two, I'm back in love and ready to quilt it. I have a couple tops I just can't get excited enough to quilt, but occasionally will pull one out to do some experimental quilting.
I'm a lot like PaperPrincess. Usually about the time I am half done piecing, I have started to investigate my "next quilt" and my attention wavers on the first. I usually plod along anyway, and by the time it is quilted, I have fallen back in love. Unfortunately, if the first quilt was ear marked for ME, and the second quilt is a "gift" or "request from the kids or their families", my quilt may sit for years before I get back to it. I have been trying for years to get my Great Pumpkin Quilt done for me, and life continually gets in the way. The only quilt I have given away unfinished was a kit I purchased and found I really didn't like the fabrics after all. This quilt went home (uncut and still in the bag) with a friend who loved it.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 AM

I've also been given partly finished projects, or fabrics that just don't call my name. I found a local group that meets weekly, making quilts for various charities - homeless shelters, foster kids, fire departments, etc. They LOVE to get these unfinished projects or fabric. It's a win-win. I feel good about passing it along, and they are happy with the donation.
Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I kind of have this situation going on right now. It's a whole lot of blocks, patterns and fabrics I got from a friend who got them from someone's estate so the kids wouldn't throw them out. I've never been "given" anything before so I'm somewhat inclined to try to do something with them. The thing is I don't know the lady who started this quilt. They are applique and large (like 18" blocks or something) and not my style or fabric choices. I do like applique from time to time but these? They came with a whole Rubbermaid tub of fq's and when I first got them (like 3 or 4 years ago) I thought hmmn, these are interesting so I pulled quite a few more fq's from my stash to add to them. The thing is, I could work on them and they would be fine. But with so many quilts in my head that I could be excited about I'm not sure I want to do these. I finished one block and almost finished one more that is hanging on my design wall with it's finishing parts pinned onto a corner. But the more I look at them the less enthused I get. Hmmn, what to do? I so get the quandary of this question!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 AM

There was one that I just hated, and I decided to go ahead and finish it up. Looking at it now, I still think it is awful, and I can see a lot of little mistakes that could have been fixed as I went along. Guess I just didn't care