Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you had to choose one Lancaster County PA quilt shop... >

If you had to choose one Lancaster County PA quilt shop...

If you had to choose one Lancaster County PA quilt shop...

Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Zook's and Old Country Store are across the street from each other. Both are excellent and Old Country Store has a small but always impressive quilt display on the second floor. I'd probably pick Sauder's (which is in the basement of a house on a road that looks like it's going nowhere). Great selection of fabrics and they also sell bulk foods, lots of bagged candies and cookies for your grandchildren to browse while you browse the fabrics. A friend who is a long-time serious quilter recently recommended Good's in East Earl (general Lancaster area). She said you could spend a whole day looking at the fabrics and prices are good - a big selection at $2.99/yard. I can't personally recommend that one since I've never been there but I'd go by what she says. It's next to Shady Maple, one of the big buffets popular in the area.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM

you can't beat Sauder's for the price... Burkholder's isn't too far the other direction, but it pricier... If you want to meet for coffee or lunch, just let me know!!! I live about 20 min from Sauder's!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 PM

What a kind offer! I'm afraid I'm only going to have 2-3 hours at most to make a hit on any shops, probably in the afternoon while one grand is in kindergarten and the other napping. Our next trip out we'll definitely be planning to spend more time in the area.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 PM

I would say Burkholder's. They are very large! Not far from Ephrata.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Please allow me to jump in! My friend & I are heading to Lancaster in October (from Ontario!) & this discussion is timely! We were there in 2010 but we didn't get to many quilt shops due to time. I'm going to be sure to write down these suggestions! Thank you so much everyone.
Teacup: enjoy your trip & of course the time with the grands!
Maureen
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM

I would say Burkholders too. Their selection is wonderful!!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 PM

So many shops, it is hard to choose. But one word of advice...Obie's is unique! Bolts of fabric stacked floor to ceiling and rows almost to narrow to pass through. There is lots of fabric and prices are reasonable, but talk about sensory overload! lol I would say you should visit sometime, but if you can only visit one shop, then save Obie's for when you have more time.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Just went to Lancaster yesterday, shopped at Log Cabin fabrics, Old Country Store and Zooks, also stopped in Bitty Kinna, next to Old Country Store, they are closing next month, all the fabrics left were $5 yard or less. Then, for the first time went to Obie's, what can I say "OMG" never expected to see all that fabric, but found exactly what I was looking for, all I can say is that it was a true experience.....
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Obie's is interesting but too crowded to be able to look at much. It's a place to go when you have plenty of time. I would go to Weaver's in Lititz or Burkholder's in Denver. They aren't too far apart and both are great. I was just in Lancaster last month for a day and a half of fabric shopping and was very disappointed with Sauder's. Didn't think it had nearly as much fabric as it used to.

Have fun - it's a great area!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks! I know I'll have to allow lots of time for future trips.