Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm going nuts Part 2 >

I'm going nuts Part 2

I'm going nuts Part 2

Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
No...it still squeaks once in a while. The receipt says the service is good for 90 days. So, I'm hoping to find a back-up machine before I consider taking it in for another 3 week long waiting game. I agree, it doesn't seem to affect anything. It will go for 3 hours straight not squeaking and then start doing it every once in a while again. It is annoying, but I agree I don't think it's doing any harm.
Is the squeaking going away yet?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Funny you should ask. I brought it back to the dealer's today. The tech was great and looked at it immediately. He worked on it for close to an hour and the final consensus is that if the squeak comes back(which he suspects it will) then it means the presser bar is going:< And he said it's quite a job to replace. It will cost $150 just for the labor plus the part. He mentioned they have quite a few 9000 and 8000 sitting in the back that they can't get rid of. That people won't pay $500 for them. So, I'd have to consider is it worth say $300 to fix a machine that might not be worth $500..... It may make more sense for me to buy a new sewing machine when I can afford it and keep this one as my least used back up:<

I'm sad:
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Candace;
Is yours a Janome? I ask b/c I'm looking at machines ansd the shop I went to said they don't keep old (last season's?) machine there. I know she might have been wanting to sell a newer one but the budget won't stretch to the machine I really want. Sorry about the aqueaky noise.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Chris-it's a Janome 9000. So far, I've sewed with it for over an hour and no squeak. He used some kind of special lubricant that started with an "L". But basically, he said if it comes back that the part would need replacing...if not replaced it will completely "go" eventually. He couldn't find any rough or weak parts on the presser bar, he had to use 3 different types of oil before this one did the trick, so that doesn't sound very good...I really don't want to lose my buddy:< It's kind of up in the air at this point if it's really fixed or if the squeak will come back.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Candace; Thanks for the information. She wanted to sell me a 6600 which I would love to have but cannot afford. May have to investigate other sewing machine shops in the area. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM

[quote=Candace]Funny you should ask. I brought it back to the dealer's today. The tech was great and looked at it immediately. He worked on it for close to an hour and the final consensus is that if the squeak comes back(which he suspects it will) then it means the presser bar is going:< And he said it's quite a job to replace. It will cost $150 just for the labor plus the part. He mentioned they have quite a few 9000 and 8000 sitting in the back that they can't get rid of. That people won't pay $500 for them. So, I'd have to consider is it worth say $300 to fix a machine that might not be worth $500..... It may make more sense for me to buy a new sewing machine when I can afford it and keep this one as my least used back up:<

I'm sad:
Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM

I thought the same thing:< But I can see his point. All the newer emb/sewing unit combos have much larger hoops and embroidery area, and more bells and whistles. For a couple hundred bucks more you can get a newer, fancier machine. Even the 10000, which is newer than the 9000 can be had for around $1,000, I think. And these newer, used machines are computer compatible allowing for the flexibility our machine that relies on cards, lacks.

I think we need to compare these machines to computers which basically become obsolete the minute you walk out the door. I'm curious what the new lines will be focused on in April.

Given the choice of buying a used 9000 for $500-$700 or a newer more flexible model for $1000 ish. I'd buy the newer one too.

It will be a tough decision.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM

I don't do a lot of embroidery, but definitely see your point about spending just a little more in case I wanted to begin doing more. Connecting to the PC is really necessary for those who do lots of it. Even if I was to get a 2nd machine, no way would I give up my MC 9000.

When the 10000 came out, it was around $4,500 if I remember correctly. That was maybe 5-6 years ago? Hard to believe they're going for a fraction of that now.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I don't do a lot of embroidery, but definitely see your point about spending just a little more in case I wanted to begin doing more. Connecting to the PC is really necessary for those who do lots of it. Even if I was to get a 2nd machine, no way would I give up my MC 9000.

When the 10000 came out, it was around $4,500 if I remember correctly. That was maybe 5-6 years ago? Hard to believe they're going for a fraction of that now.
Yup, unfortunately just like computers, cars and other electronics. They cost big bucks at first when the technology is new. Then the newer technology is released and they lose their value. I don't do much embroidery now either, but I did use the quilting card today. Any embroidery I would use it for would be using the couple of quilting related cards I own. I doubt I'll be putting Kipper on any of my 16 and 14 year olds clothes:>