Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: I'm going nuts Part 2

  1. #1
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    In the ongoing drama of will I ever have my sewing machine back...in the last episode Candace was lamenting the fact that her sewing machine had been in the shop for over 2 weeks and was told it would be possibly another week until it was even looked at. Poor Candace was a wreck and her forum friends booed and hissed.

    Now, the newest....Weds. I got a call that my machine was ready. Woohoo! I drove the 45 mins there to get it. I was told there was nothing wrong and that it only got a cleaning, oiling and regular maintenance. I sewed on it for about an hour yesterday and the squeaking while sewing (intermittently) and squeaking of the knee lift was gone. It sewed nicely and I was thrilled. Today, not so thrilled. The squeaking is back:<

    We are calling them back tomorrow. We're going to ask if it can be looked at right away this time. Now, I'm not only impatient I'm frustrated:< So, all that time and the problem is still there. Or is it just the fact that the machine is 11 years old and I'll have to live with the squeak?? I'm betting the "fix" will be a new part that's worth more than the machine. If so, I guess I'll be living with it and nicknaming it "squeaky".

  2. #2
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh no, after all the time they had it, the squeak is still there. What's up with that?

    I have only had one problem with my machine. I brought it in for service and they didn't find anything. The grinding noise happened again so I took a video of it and showed it to them and they fixed it on the spot.

    Maybe doing a little video would help just in case it doesn't do it in the store?

    Good luck Candace.

  3. #3
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    I once took a machine in to be cleaned, the machine case is taken apart to reach gears etc: I got it back with a piece of scotch tape holding the case together! I can tell you I have not been back to that shop. I was to mad to call them, and they are one hour away. It is now time to take it in again but it will be going to a different shop.

  4. #4
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    When I took my machine in a few weeks ago there was a problem with it making a horrible noise in the bobbin casing.
    I took it over an hour away. When I got back to pick it up a few days later I was in a bit of hurry to get back home so I just paid and grabbed my machine and left. It took a few days to get it set up again only to find it was just as bad. I learned no matter how much of a hurry I'm in I'll test it before leaving beings I don't just live around the block.
    I called them and they were very appologetic and said bring it back. I drove the hour again and they let me wait. The guy worked on it over an hour and finally found the problem. The part is ordered and they didn't charge me. He did fix it so its not making the noise but does need the part. They ordered it for me and will fix it for free for not fixing it in the first place.
    I was very happy with them at that point. I understand mistakes happen but its how people handle the situation on weather or not I'll continue doing business. I totally felt this shop did an excellent job. I just referred a few more people to them. I hope the place your dealing with will accomodate you as well as the Top Stitch in Spokane did me.
    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    In their defense the squeak wasn't there when it left the shop as I sewed on it for an hour at home with no problem. So, had I tried it in the shop I would have been happy. It's just that it reappeared within 2 hours of use. It will sew for 3 or 4 minutes fine then a few squeaks, then sew another minute or two, then squeak, squeak. And it sometimes squeaks when I use the knee lift. The idea of taking a video is a good one if I can get it to squeak that would help.

    :<

  6. #6
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    In their defense the squeak wasn't there when it left the shop as I sewed on it for an hour at home with no problem. So, had I tried it in the shop I would have been happy. It's just that it reappeared within 2 hours of use. It will sew for 3 or 4 minutes fine then a few squeaks, then sew another minute or two, then squeak, squeak. And it sometimes squeaks when I use the knee lift. The idea of taking a video is a good one if I can get it to squeak that would help.

    :<
    Are you by any chance using a plastic quarter inch foot? I had one of those quarter inch feet on my old machine and it eventually got to where it made an odd groaning sound. It quit when I changed back to one of the regular feet.

  7. #7
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    No, I was using my metal 1/4" foot. I even took the machine out of the table it's in and set it up because I didn't want to look like a fool if it was the table. And it still squeaked occasionally. The sound is coming from right over the foot area inside the casing of the machine. But, I will try switching feet and see if that does anything. I did get a new 1/4" a while ago so will give it a go....

  8. #8
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    That has to be so frustrating. I hope they can get it fixed this time.

  9. #9
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    No, I was using my metal 1/4" foot. I even took the machine out of the table it's in and set it up because I didn't want to look like a fool if it was the table. And it still squeaked occasionally. The sound is coming from right over the foot area inside the casing of the machine. But, I will try switching feet and see if that does anything. I did get a new 1/4" a while ago so will give it a go....
    Candace, Have you ever figured out the squeek? Mine does that too. I took my Janome 6500 in for cleaning in Oct. It didn't squeek before. 2 weeks later is starts squeeking , sounds like its coming from inside the area where the needle goes up and down. I took it back in and when I picked it up , they said there was some lint in it. But now it is squeeking again. I don't think it is hurting anything , but it sure is annoying!
    Elaine

  10. #10
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    No...it still squeaks once in a while. The receipt says the service is good for 90 days. So, I'm hoping to find a back-up machine before I consider taking it in for another 3 week long waiting game. I agree, it doesn't seem to affect anything. It will go for 3 hours straight not squeaking and then start doing it every once in a while again. It is annoying, but I agree I don't think it's doing any harm.

  11. #11
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    No...it still squeaks once in a while. The receipt says the service is good for 90 days. So, I'm hoping to find a back-up machine before I consider taking it in for another 3 week long waiting game. I agree, it doesn't seem to affect anything. It will go for 3 hours straight not squeaking and then start doing it every once in a while again. It is annoying, but I agree I don't think it's doing any harm.
    Is the squeaking going away yet?

  12. #12
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Funny you should ask. I brought it back to the dealer's today. The tech was great and looked at it immediately. He worked on it for close to an hour and the final consensus is that if the squeak comes back(which he suspects it will) then it means the presser bar is going:< And he said it's quite a job to replace. It will cost $150 just for the labor plus the part. He mentioned they have quite a few 9000 and 8000 sitting in the back that they can't get rid of. That people won't pay $500 for them. So, I'd have to consider is it worth say $300 to fix a machine that might not be worth $500..... It may make more sense for me to buy a new sewing machine when I can afford it and keep this one as my least used back up:<


    I'm sad:<

  13. #13
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,059
    Blog Entries
    19
    Candace;
    Is yours a Janome? I ask b/c I'm looking at machines ansd the shop I went to said they don't keep old (last season's?) machine there. I know she might have been wanting to sell a newer one but the budget won't stretch to the machine I really want. Sorry about the aqueaky noise.

  14. #14
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Chris-it's a Janome 9000. So far, I've sewed with it for over an hour and no squeak. He used some kind of special lubricant that started with an "L". But basically, he said if it comes back that the part would need replacing...if not replaced it will completely "go" eventually. He couldn't find any rough or weak parts on the presser bar, he had to use 3 different types of oil before this one did the trick, so that doesn't sound very good...I really don't want to lose my buddy:< It's kind of up in the air at this point if it's really fixed or if the squeak will come back.

  15. #15
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    3,059
    Blog Entries
    19
    Candace; Thanks for the information. She wanted to sell me a 6600 which I would love to have but cannot afford. May have to investigate other sewing machine shops in the area. Thanks again.

  16. #16
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Funny you should ask. I brought it back to the dealer's today. The tech was great and looked at it immediately. He worked on it for close to an hour and the final consensus is that if the squeak comes back(which he suspects it will) then it means the presser bar is going:< And he said it's quite a job to replace. It will cost $150 just for the labor plus the part. He mentioned they have quite a few 9000 and 8000 sitting in the back that they can't get rid of. That people won't pay $500 for them. So, I'd have to consider is it worth say $300 to fix a machine that might not be worth $500..... It may make more sense for me to buy a new sewing machine when I can afford it and keep this one as my least used back up:<


    I'm sad:<
    It's hard to believe that people don't want to pay $500 for a machine I paid thousands for about 12 years ago. That makes me sad.

    This is going to be a tough decision.

  17. #17
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    I thought the same thing:< But I can see his point. All the newer emb/sewing unit combos have much larger hoops and embroidery area, and more bells and whistles. For a couple hundred bucks more you can get a newer, fancier machine. Even the 10000, which is newer than the 9000 can be had for around $1,000, I think. And these newer, used machines are computer compatible allowing for the flexibility our machine that relies on cards, lacks.

    I think we need to compare these machines to computers which basically become obsolete the minute you walk out the door. I'm curious what the new lines will be focused on in April.

    Given the choice of buying a used 9000 for $500-$700 or a newer more flexible model for $1000 ish. I'd buy the newer one too.

    It will be a tough decision.

  18. #18
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't do a lot of embroidery, but definitely see your point about spending just a little more in case I wanted to begin doing more. Connecting to the PC is really necessary for those who do lots of it. Even if I was to get a 2nd machine, no way would I give up my MC 9000.

    When the 10000 came out, it was around $4,500 if I remember correctly. That was maybe 5-6 years ago? Hard to believe they're going for a fraction of that now.

  19. #19
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I don't do a lot of embroidery, but definitely see your point about spending just a little more in case I wanted to begin doing more. Connecting to the PC is really necessary for those who do lots of it. Even if I was to get a 2nd machine, no way would I give up my MC 9000.

    When the 10000 came out, it was around $4,500 if I remember correctly. That was maybe 5-6 years ago? Hard to believe they're going for a fraction of that now.
    Yup, unfortunately just like computers, cars and other electronics. They cost big bucks at first when the technology is new. Then the newer technology is released and they lose their value. I don't do much embroidery now either, but I did use the quilting card today. Any embroidery I would use it for would be using the couple of quilting related cards I own. I doubt I'll be putting Kipper on any of my 16 and 14 year olds clothes:>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.