Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt >

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 PM

I'll PM you.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 PM

I have several of those prints in my stash, and they are not all as old as the 1960's. (I started quilting with the Bicentennial era.) You won't be remiss in using a bonded polyester batting, which is what we used in the 1970's, but W/N would be even nicer. Any 100% cotton in a compatible solid color could be used to bind it; I'd try to match the green.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 PM

I'd love to see this quilt again. Is it finished?
Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 PM

I would love to see it too. Since this is the first time I viewed this thread I am very curious how it has turned out. For me instead of using a binding I would have turned them under and stitched it so it would appear was birthed. (I did that for a quilt. It took a while but I couldn't envision a binding and was not able to birth the quilt so that is all I could think to do.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
I have several of those prints in my stash, and they are not all as old as the 1960's. (I started quilting with the Bicentennial era.) You won't be remiss in using a bonded polyester batting, which is what we used in the 1970's, but W/N would be even nicer. Any 100% cotton in a compatible solid color could be used to bind it; I'd try to match the green.
I agree with this, the mint green with hearts, I remember seeing that on the Concord Fabrics sample folder which is how we picked fabric in the late 70's. I am surprised to learn it was made earlier. Also there are other fabrics I recognize from when I started quilting in 1978.

I cast my vote for hand quilting, but then I am biased in that direction as I have been hand quilting for myself and other for the last 40 years. I have also bound DWR quilts with edges like that, and even once a GFG with tiny hexagons, where the owner wanted the binding to follow the outline of every hex on the edge. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:35 PM

As requested here are the pictures with apologies for not having posted earlier. I read each and every post and considered suggestions that work with my budget and get it on the guest bed from time-to-time for my pleasure as long as I'm able.

I opted for letting it be long armed by my trusted long arm person. I followed advice to use 'period' colored fabric and purchased a pastel pink gingham fabric that was pleasing to my eye.

At suggestion of long arm quilter a higher loft batting which again, I'm well pleased. I will post over different posts as I'm not sure how many pictures can be within a post at what size etc....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554896[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wedding-ring-quilt-1-kate-huva.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Picture 2 of Kate's Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554897[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails wedding-ring-quilt-2-kate-huva.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 12:51 PM
yel

in this case [picture] if you just took off the one yellow square then it would be a true scallop without the extra square and it would be much easier to bind without loosing anything from the quilt
Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Thank-you for the requests reminding me to post the pictures of the completed quilt. I hope you enjoy seeing the finally completed 49+ year old quilt.

I'd like to say for those that have questioned the dating of this quilt via their identification of fabric they bought, sold or used in the 70's, 80's so therefore the quilt isn't as old as I relayed in the story of how it was gifted to us in 1967. I had also received a private email telling me I was an out and out a liar because she had fabric she'd just bought within the last five years so my story was (in her words) 'bogus'?????

These comments and the private email are hurtful. My story is spot on as I remember well the year I was married when it was gifted to us. I remember well the year Kate passed away 1969. So unless she worked on this after death, secretly in my cedar chest I can attest that the fabrics had to be from a date prior to 1967 when the flimsy was gifted to us and definitely prior to her death in 1969.

As Jan posted #16 some of the fabric prints are still being produced today by fabric manufacturers (she mentioned Kona specifically) so to question the authenticity of the age of the quilt via when they 'saw, used or purchased fabric' baffles me. Really dating this quilt wasn't even my initial question, so the inference that my story wasn't true was and is hurtful.

Attached Thumbnails wedding-ring-quilt-2-kate-huva.jpg  

Last edited by onaemtnest; 07-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:09 PM

..are you pleased with your now completed quilt? That's what counts! Don't let negative comments put a shadow across the lovely DWR....