Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt >

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

Old 01-09-2016, 07:48 PM

I have not read through all the responses but wanted to mention that I was told that a quilt is dated by the last work that was done on it, so that means that while this quilt is an antique now (or close to it) once you add fabric and have it quilted it will not be anymore. It will be considered a 2016 quilt. It was a quilt shop owner that said this when she was having a "quilt show" of antique quilts in her store. I have never researched to see if what she says is correct or not, just wanted to share.

I think the quilt is lovely and vote w/the others to have it hand quilted if you decide to do that.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Thank-you to each and every one that has taken the time to respond to my request. Thank-you's to those that have contacted via PM offering advice and vintage fabric. I have considered all of your suggested options. I will label the quilt so wherever it may end up after I'm no longer the keeper of this quilt there will be a provenance.

With all things in life I think we are all bound by the limits of our present financial situations. When DH and I were both working before retirement this decision would have been a 'no-brainer' I would have only had it hand quilted. Now we are both retired on fixed incomes, financial choices are more difficult and considered more carefully.

I'm waiting to hear from one more hand quilting group, at this point the two I have 'estimates' from are nearly 4 X's the cost of having it quilted by my trusted LA person.

The quilt is a 102" X 90" and I understand those who have suggested that I should not even consider having it quilted by machine. My option is not being able to afford hand quilting for hire and just leaving it in storage and never being able to enjoy it or opting for the LA and having it for me to enjoy and display.

So again, I thank everyone who has taken time to help me with numerous options and your kind advice.

(((HUGS))) TO ALL!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
I would send this to the Amish to be hand quilted and bound.

Friends of mine had an almost king sized grandmothers' garden hand pieced and in pristine condition. Made by his great grandmother in the 1920's. We had this appraised by an AQS appraiser prior to finishing the quilt top. I attended the appraisal and asked the question.....hand quilt or machine quilt? Her answer...machine quilt! It does not affect the value either way and in fact, it will PRESERVE the quilt top much longer. It was completed last year and it is gorgeous! What a treasure for the family.

Sandy
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Please, please do not machine quilt this beautiful DWR. While some do a fantastic job, long-arm machines were not being used at the time this quilt was created. It was made with hand stitches and I highly recommend being consistent in the finishing. Amish, Mennonite, a person or church group who hand quilt, please!

See my post above.
sandy
Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 PM

this may have been suggested, and you seem to have come to a happy decision, but i would suggest facing the edges and then adding backing. you save your scallops and don't have to mess with the complex ins and outs. it is beautiful, and you need to write the whole story of kate for future generations. i love knowing where and how old quilts came about!
congrats on 50yrs, we're newly weds at 40.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM

I finally found the thread I wanted to point out to you earlier. A longarmer had finished an old hand pieced top for a client and there was a discussion about what was the correct way to quilt the top. I know you've already decided to have it machine quilted, but thought you'd enjoy reading what others had to say about that old quilt and machine quilting old tops in general.

Rescued?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t48137.html

Darren

Last edited by wesing; 01-10-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Thank-you to each and every one that has taken the time to respond to my request. Thank-you's to those that have contacted via PM offering advice and vintage fabric. I have considered all of your suggested options. I will label the quilt so wherever it may end up after I'm no longer the keeper of this quilt there will be a provenance.

With all things in life I think we are all bound by the limits of our present financial situations. When DH and I were both working before retirement this decision would have been a 'no-brainer' I would have only had it hand quilted. Now we are both retired on fixed incomes, financial choices are more difficult and considered more carefully.

I'm waiting to hear from one more hand quilting group, at this point the two I have 'estimates' from are nearly 4 X's the cost of having it quilted by my trusted LA person.

The quilt is a 102" X 90" and I understand those who have suggested that I should not even consider having it quilted by machine. My option is not being able to afford hand quilting for hire and just leaving it in storage and never being able to enjoy it or opting for the LA and having it for me to enjoy and display.

So again, I thank everyone who has taken time to help me with numerous options and your kind advice.

(((HUGS))) TO ALL!
I think the best advice given to me when a beginner was to use the best fabric, etc THAT YOU CAN AFFORD. I think it's excellent advice for all of us to remember. And I like that you are planning to finish this quilt so it can be enjoyed. I bought hand pieced bowtie blocks at an estate sale--probably pieced in early 60's judging by newest fabric, but some older fabrics and the whites were from men's shirts. I sewed them together and LA them. Restoration cleaning solution made both the whites and colored fabrics sparkle, BTW. While it would have been "truer" to hand quilt, I knew that wasn't going to happen--this way it's done & can be enjoyed. I say, "go for it!"
Old 01-11-2016, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I finally found the thread I wanted to point out to you earlier. A longarmer had finished an old hand pieced top for a client and there was a discussion about what was the correct way to quilt the top. I know you've already decided to have it machine quilted, but thought you'd enjoy reading what others had to say about that old quilt and machine quilting old tops in general.

Rescued?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t48137.html

Darren

EXCELLENT!
sandy
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 AM

I would talk to the LA for suggestions. Most of them I'm sure used to do all of this and alot of them still do or know someone who can help. Alot of the fabric in the double wedding ring are florals, you can still find them in the reproduction fabrics. If you don't want to do a muslin background then find a nuetral floral to back it with, get batting suggestions from the LA.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 AM

This quilt will be part of the old and the new, so I would also machine quilt it. Its better to be machine quilted than sit in a box and not be enjoyed at all. The lady took lots of love and care into this quilt and it would be a shame for it not to be finished, enjoyed and her to be remembered when you see it.