Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm thinking of getting a new machine. Any thoughts on these two possibilities? >

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. Any thoughts on these two possibilities?

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. Any thoughts on these two possibilities?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure if I bought the same "heavy duty" singer but it was grey, I bought it from HSN and sent it back. The rag quilt I made with it fell apart in the washer (never had that problem before or since). If there are any sewing machine stores and or repair shops near you, look there first. You may be able to get a good deal on a used machine with a warranty.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I'd delay my purchase for as long as possible in order to save up for a used Bernina. Last I heard, the Singers are all manufactured in China and not of the best quality. Don't know anything about the Brother.
I agree, delay your purchase and keep sewing on your vintage machine as long as you can. You will feel like you upgraded with a quality machine such as a Bernina. If you can not wait, stay away from the singer. Look into getting a Brother from Costco. I have purchased two Brothers from Costco for my daughters and they are happy. You can't beat their return policy if you are not happy. The reason I told you to wait, is as much as my daughter loves her Brother sewing machine, she refuses to sew on my Bernina machine, as she feels she would notice the difference and not be content any longer. Smart girl. Be happy with what you have.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM

I've bought several vintage machines off of E-Bay with good results. I would probably try for a Singer 305 model. Super machine....and tough. Just make sure that the dealer has high marks.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 AM

The best sewing machine is one you use!! The vintage machines are great and with proper servicing/maintenance (done by you!) they sew on and on and on! The newer machines with all the stitches are also great because certain features can make things easier and more enjoyable, but the plastic parts break, servicing may need to be done at shop. Good luck with what you decide!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Likethedog View Post
Hi -- I've been sewing for about 16 months. I have a vintage machine from about 1960, very basic, non-computerized, of course. It doesn't have a walking foot and I can't find one, and it has some tension issues.

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. My budget is tight. Right now a local store has a Singer 4423 heavy duty machine (the gray one) for $120 and I've read good reviews of the Brother CS6000i with 60 built-in stitches which I can find for about $150.

Anyone had experience with either of these models?

I want the machine for quilting and for making bags from duck or home decor fabric, also little things like hemming curtains and making scarves.

Thanks for any comments or advice. Sorry if I've put this in the wrong category.
Since you are talking about sewing homedec fabric I am going to agree with finding a vintage machine. The old Singers are tough - a 201, 301, 15-91, all will go thru thicker fabric. These newer machines have motors that just don't go thru tough fabric. Old Necchi's are priceless, wonderful machines, old Kenmores. Buy the Brother for the fancy stitches and find a vintage oldy but goody at Goodwill or someplace that has reasonable prices on the vintage machines (some people think because they are old makes them valuable - they are, they are just plentiful - look in Craigslist also.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I think my best course is to keep looking and thinking, visit the two local stores that sell machines and offer service, as well, and keep my eyes open for somthing sturdy and used. My biggest wish is for something that will quilt more readily -- the one foot I have with my machine squishes the layers together, and won't allow me to do anything but stitch in the ditch or straight across a little at a time.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM

I have the brothersq9000 started free motion quilting on it but like some of the other members said I wanted a machine with a larger throat. So just this year I bought the PQ1500S machine and started quilting with it and because of the pin feed I almost finished it in a day, but I got interrupted and had to go to work on my job, then with the gardening season I haven' t finished it yet. I can't say enough about how well it is working for me. Like you I had to search for a machine that was not to costly. It is still pricey but I was able to purchase it with my income tax refund. I purchased it at an albrands for $599.00. We'll worth the price.Hope you find one you really like.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM

I don't know anything about the singer machines,but I can tell you I have 2 brothers machine and I am very pleased with them. The first one is qs9000 I like it and did free motion quilting and used the design stitiches on it. But like some of the other members mentioned I wanted a machine with a larger throat for larger quilts, so I search the internet for a good and reasonal price machine and I came across the PQ1500S machine and after studying the reviews I purchased it and am so happy I did. It is well the price I paid for it. $599.00 at an albrands.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 AM

I like my Brother XR6060. I do miss the auto needle up & cut off. WE don't need those features, but gee are they nice! This Brother is in my vacation home, so I didn't spend a lot of money. BUT, I do recommend buying from a sewing machine store for a quality machine. This one is from Hancocks & is good, I'm happy..but if you can, buy a little better machine & you'll never be sorry.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 AM

I have an old Kenmore that is heavy and durable. I wanted new so I bought an inexpensive Singer which was junk and then an inexpensive Brother. Neither are good for free motion quilting. Gave the Brother to my granddaughter and the Singer I use mainly for mending. The Kenmore went in for cleaning and tweeking and it sews and free motions wonderfully. I decided to save until I could afford a better machine and two months ago purchased a Babylok. The new machine and my old Kenmore service me well. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for. Quilting requires a sturdy machine. I had to learn that lesson by my not so smart purchases.