Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inflated yardage requirements >

Inflated yardage requirements

Inflated yardage requirements

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM

I've had this happen, WAY too much leftover ... conversely, some called for too little ! MANY patterns have errors or poor instructions. I always read through and check amts before I buy fabric.
Also a good idea to check the designer's or publisher's site to see if there is any Errata posted for the pattern, before you buy - or cut !
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Are you really, truly throwing away anything less than a yard? Aren't there some charity quilters nearby, or Quilts of Valor sewers? They would love, LOVE to have those pieces. Binding for a scrap quilt only takes 1/2 yrd for QoV size. My closet is full at the moment, or else I would have you ship them to me.

:D
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Josie208
I recently finished a quilt designed for a specific fabric company and had purchased fabric in the amounts the pattern specified for a "quilt top and binding." I had enough fabric left over for the entire backing (pieced) and two pillows front and back! Are the yardage charts just a clever way to have us purchase more of their fabric lines???
I've seen in some quilting magazines for some of the patterns they mention the yardage is just a little bit more than you need to allow for error. Quite possible it could also be a clever way to get quilters to buy that fabric line.

Look at it this way. You didn't have to get backing fabric and you got two pillows to match. :D
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
.... Sorry, I don't see a problem here. But then I tend to not buy less than 4-6 yards of anything, and often buy whole bolts. Anything less than a yard is scrap and is usually thrown away.
You throw THAT much fabric away ?? What a waste ! Please save it and DONATE to a quilt guild, seniors center, Girl Scouts, 4H, youth group ... they will USE it ! :(
Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I don't know why the yardage is over estimated but I do know the extras are great for patched backings that have become popular and I'd rather have more than not enough. And good way to promote our loved scrappy quilts too.♥♥
I agree.... It never hurts to have extra!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Your extras do seam a bit extreme. But in general, yes I do feel they way overcharge for what you receive in quilt kits.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

it's unfair to either imply or conclude that kits or patterns deliberately overestimate fabric requirements.

not too long ago, lots of quilters were complaining that because of different cutting methods or mistakes, they too often didn't have enough fabric to complete a project.

if you want to ensure you get only exactly what you need, then do the math. ;-)