Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
INSULBRIGHT ?? >

INSULBRIGHT ??

INSULBRIGHT ??

Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM

I made 50 potholders for Christmas using insulbrite. I cut the insulbrite 1/2 inche shorter and therefore did not sew through it. Worked wonderful for me and everybody loved their potholders. Will attach a pic of a few of them. EllenK
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60984.jpe  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

I've used insulbrite. The quilting was minimal, and the potholders do their job. I don't know about using a blanket stitch. It seems to me that would be too much for the product.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 AM

Sure have used Insulbrite. Love it for pot holders mitts, and hot pads. I use a layer of Warm and Natural on each side. Just make sure to clean out machine after each use.
I am a teacher and I always instruct new sewers on the benefits of clean machines and new needles for each project.
I remember one older lady coming to class and afterwards she told me she thought the "felt pad" in her bobbin case was supposed to be there! No wonder her first home projects needed remedial repairs.
It only takes a few moments to clean & change a needle-really will improve your sewing.
Love to all and Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lbatescpa
Could you please tell me where you got the roll from?

Thanks! Happy New Year.
I will be glad to....as soon as I can find the box it came in. Things got shifted around over the holidays and I can't find the email confirmation email right now. So....give me a day or so and I will have that info for you.

Have a great day!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM

The canned air intended for computers is near my sewing machines. It helps keep all the lint and such out of my way!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 AM

Ok, I got the roll of insul-bright from fabric.com because at the time with shipping figured in it was cheaper than the rest of the places online. I just checked and I was incorrect it is 45" wide (must have looked wider on the roll). It was $4.25/yd. But I see it is out of stock until 1/5/10. Joann has it on sale on-line at least, for $4.54 for a 1yd package if you don't need a longer continuous length for a runner and if you google for a coupon, there is a coupon for free shipping for orders over $25 and/or a coupon for 10% total order (not sure if works for sale items), but I think the coupons expire today or tomorrow. Also the Ben Franklin site lists a 1 yard package for $4.93, but don't know if they have it in-store. Gosh, there weren't all these options when I got mine, but I still got a good deal. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
The canned air intended for computers is near my sewing machines. It helps keep all the lint and such out of my way!
Be careful using canned air in computerized sewing machines as it could mess things up.

I get Insulbrite at JoAnn's. I don't have a big sewing room and it's kind of bulky, so I only buy 1-2 yards at a time. I always use a coupon for it.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
Canned air is not recommended for ANY sewing machines, computerized or not. It drives the lint deep into areas you cannot clean and packs it tightly.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 AM

How interesting. My Bernina dealer recommended it....however they did tell us to aim from the rear of the machine, through where the throat plate goes, and spray out. Probably for just that reason.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 PM

ALWAYS use a mini vacuum cleaner to clean machine. Never canned air! I keep mine on shelf just below notion drawer in sewing table. Always handy, and i'm more apt to use because it is in sight.
Bought my mini through Nancy's notions. Don't know how i ever lived without it.