Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Invisible thread >

Invisible thread

Invisible thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 AM
DJ

Maybe it's a tension problem, but I find that if I use invisible thread in the bobbin, it feels scratchy. I try to use it only on wall hangings now but I do like it when I have to quilt over different colors. My quilting isn't lovely enough that I want it to be a focal point in my quilts.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 AM

I absolutely will not use invisible thread, sorry.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
I had some invisible thread and now I can't find it. No, really, that's true. But I chuckle about it, because I figure the reason I can't find it is because -- it's invisible!

If you use invisible thread, don't use the nylon invisible thread. That is the stuff that deteriorates and breaks over time.

Instead, use polyester invisible thread. It will outlive you while still feeling supple and soft.

YLI, Superior -- and Coats & Clarks -- all make polyester invisible thread. And in my heart of hearts, I doubt any one is better than the other.
I like your comment you can't find your invisible thread . Has anyone ever used mettler invisible poly ?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM

I use the invisible poly I like it, used it for stitch in the ditch and FM,I did it on a bed quilt seems to be holding out just fine
Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM

I use it all the time for STID but I don't use it in the bobbin. I match that thread to the backing. Here's what I've learned, move it away from the machine on a spool holder of some kind, play with your tension a little if you have problems. Use a small needle, 60 or 70 to prevent breakage. I use smoke on the darker fabrics and the transparent clear on lighter stuff. I get mine from CT.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I like your comment you can't find your invisible thread . Has anyone ever used mettler invisible poly ?
Wish we had a "like" button like Facebook.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM

I don't like using invisible thread. It's stretchy and so fine that it's like working with invisible curled up hair. And my machine has issues with it too. I've used it a few times on wallhangings but never used it on a usable quilt.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Wish we had a "like" button like Facebook.
I've thought that before too!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM

I have to disagree with the durability of invisible thread, I patched a hole in a scrub top with invisble thread(bottom and top) lined the pattern up perfectly and that scrub top was washed weekly, I now have uniforms but that scrub top still exists with no problems washing drying and ironing using superior thread. I think the thread is a personal choice some like it, some don't. To me its just another thread, I don't love or hate it and I am not opposed to using it if it suits my purpose. I do think the durability is there is you use a good brand of thread.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

I'm with Doggramma, invisible thread is like sewing with a strand of hair. I use it top and bobbin on small projects that are hangers. I don't know about using it in an actual wash and go quilt.