Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Invisible thread >

Invisible thread

Invisible thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting I used invisible thread. I thought great no one could see my mistakes. The only thing was I tried using it in both the bobbin and the top. Guess what!!! I couldn't see if I was sewing or not. OK after hitting myself on the head I just put in the top. That worked much better. I used it on one of the first quilts I made my grandson. I thought that it was great. After about two years of use my son called me up and asked if I would mind mending my GS's quilt. It seems as if the thread had melted in different places. I don't remember what brand I used or what kind it was. Different parts of the quilt had come apart as if they had never been sewed. The blocks were intact so it was easy to just SID all over the quilt with regular thread. Most of the quilt was intact and the thread hadn't melted (not sure why just certain places had). If I were to make a wall hanging I probably would use it again just not in my regular quilts. Maybe I just used the wrong kind!!!!! BrendaK
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM

I was taught never to use invisible nylon thread on a baby quilt as loops of it could cause the loss of little fingers and toes. I am not coordinated enough to use the other kind, it just goes everywhere, I cannot control it.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:25 AM

I use it for SITD no problems. 2 cautions I've read (here). 1) use yli or other poly invisible. I use yli. Works fine so far. 2) never use any kind of invis in a baby quilt or gift they will use or wear. It can catch on and injure tiny fingers and toes.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 AM

I always use YLI invisible thread with a thread net in the top and DMC Machine Embroidery Thread in the bobbin.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
I had some invisible thread and now I can't find it. No, really, that's true. But I chuckle about it, because I figure the reason I can't find it is because -- it's invisible!

If you use invisible thread, don't use the nylon invisible thread. That is the stuff that deteriorates and breaks over time.

Instead, use polyester invisible thread. It will outlive you while still feeling supple and soft.

YLI, Superior -- and Coats & Clarks -- all make polyester invisible thread. And in my heart of hearts, I doubt any one is better than the other.
I laughed when I read that!

One thing I don't like is that it looks shiny on the quilt top. But my biggest problem is I just can't see the cursed stuff!!! Did the thread come up from the bobbin? Is the top thread through the needle? Did I lose the top thread? GRRR!!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 AM

I was taught that if you want invisible thread on both the top and bottom, you need to hand wind the invisible thread on the bobbin so that it won't be so tight. It's not that hard of a job. Good luck and be sure to show us the finished quilt.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 AM

I used polyester invisible thread to stabilize my quilts with STID for quite a long time but then I tried Bottomline thread from Superior and I really prefer it. It hides easily, is flexible and much easier to see when I am doing the quilting. Another great plus is that it is much easier to tie off and bury the ends. I use a beige and light gray for this purpose. Sometimes I use this thread for decorative quilting also.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Unless I am quilting a baby quilt or a quilt for a nursing home, I almost always use invisible thread as my top thread. I have never once had a problem with it. I use Aurifil clear or smoke depending on the colors in my quilt top. It is a nylon thread; but I have never had it melt when I ironed it, nor does it appear stiff to me. I love it because my quilting errors to not show up as much. When I get really good at FMQ, I will probably stop using invisible thread.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Unless I am quilting a baby quilt or a quilt for a nursing home, I almost always use invisible thread as my top thread. I have never once had a problem with it. I use Aurifil clear or smoke depending on the colors in my quilt top. It is a nylon thread; but I have never had it melt when I ironed it, nor does it appear stiff to me. I love it because my quilting errors to not show up as much. When I get really good at FMQ, I will probably stop using invisible thread.
I have also used the Aurifil invisible with no problem. I use it for add texture when I don't want the quilting to be very visible on the quilt.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have used nylon invisible thread for quilting. Never used it in the bobbin. I have probably given those quilts away, so I really don't know how well it has held up. I have never had any complaints. I had a problem with it getting hung up on some part of the machine and breaking because of that. I haven't used it for a long time. I do have a bunch of it. I have only made one wall hanging and used regular thread for it.