Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look >

Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look

Ironing Fabric and the "Crinkle" Look

Old 07-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanks Bree, that's helpful too! The only quilt I've completed is a rag quilt, so I only used flannel (which I did pre-shrink) and haven't worked with batting and traditional quilting yet so I don't have personal experience to take into account. No competitions here yet so I should be good

I have noticed occasional stretching at the edges after ironing which made me realize it might be an issue - but glad to hear that for the most it won't be after cutting the fabric.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:25 AM

I have been using wool batting lately. ANyone have any issues with it shrinking on them? How would I pre-soak batting. Never tried it. I am worried about some of the gifted quilts not being washed properly and shrinking a lot.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 AM

meanmom, I haven't tried pre-soaking wool batting because the potential shrinkage indicated is very small. If I recall, the wool battings indicate shrinkage of 1-2% while the cottons say 5%. I guess the wool shrinks quite a bit when it's being processed for the batting.

The method I've used for Warm & Natural is given on their label. You soak the batting, squeeze it out, press between towels and put in the dryer on warm. Some people have said that they spin it (but the package says not to, so I haven't).

The only other batting I've pre-soaked is the Hobbs silk. The above method didn't work well for that; it absorbs an enormous amount of water and is quite stretchy when wet. So I handled with extreme care and laid it out to dry the last time, and that worked well.

I remember reading an account by someone who had tried pre-soaking Hobbs Tuscany wool, and it dissolved! Quilter's Dream wool is thermally bonded, and I was told that if exposed to heat, it will completely flatten out. Quilter's Dream urges that their batting not be pre-soaked, as it is so easy to damage when wet and heavy (although the rep who responded to my email did concede that it would be okay to pre-soak a cotton bat and lay it out to dry, if done very carefully). I will probably do that with Quilter's Dream cotton; I can't wait to try that, as everyone raves about it.

I think if you pre-wash your fabrics, wash your quilts before passing them on, and include washing instructions with the quilts when you give them away, you shouldn't have to worry too much about them.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I iron hard and starch heavily before I cut the fabric. I like my fabric stiff as paper when I cut. I get the crinkle look after it's washed and the fabric relaxes.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I believe the crinkled look comes from the batting shrinking. If you use washed fabric and batting that isn't pre-soaked, you will still get a crinkly quilt. In fact, I get some crinkle even though I pre-soak my batting and air dry my quilts.

100% correct. Wash fabric not batting. Works for me.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM

Skylark,
I was thinking some more about this & realized that if you are ironing on the bias, that can pull it a little out of shape, but I always figure that's why we square things up as we go. Pressing is ideal & it's what I usually try to do, but old habits die hard and in any case it's a minor issue that is easily remedied if it ever causes a slight stretch.

btw -- I'm kind of jealous of all your beautiful machines.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Thanks everyone! It's great to know that even with different ways of doing things, we can still get the results we want I find pressing isn't very effective for me (though if I've cut something down I do press) but I'm paying attention to which grain stretches less when tugged, and ironing that way. Making everything look real nice on the comic book boards!

And thanks Bree! Just got the treadle on Saturday. There are many pretty vintage machines.