Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Seams - is this how it is supposed to look? >

Ironing Seams - is this how it is supposed to look?

Ironing Seams - is this how it is supposed to look?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 AM

The gray square to the left of the red square in question has both of its seams ironed "out" and the red square has both of its seams ironed "in." That is why on the back the gray one looks bigger than the red one but they are both the same cut and sewn size. If you started with 5" squares, the gray one is shown at 5" wide and the red one at 4 1/2" wide. The others are shown at 4 3/4" wide (one seam out and one in as the seams were all sewn to one side). Hope that makes sense.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the direction of ironing the seams. When you put your groups of blocks together, you're going to be watching your pattern on the front (so you don't get 2 or 3 in a row the same) and you will probably move things around then anyway. I just completed a queen sized one with 4" squares, and as long as my seams aligned and I kept a reasonably random mixture, I didn't worry about the back. Yours looks great.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
The reason the blocks LOOKED wrong was because the top row shows the FULL size of the actual block and the next row having the 1/4" seam pressed on it's back, that made the row of squares look a 1/2" shorter. Just an optical illusion. Don't worry about the back. Just make sure your front is correct. Have fun quilting !! I
What she said! The seam flap is covering up part of the block and making it appear unevenly sized compared to the next block. It's fine, that's exactly how mine look too. If it really bothers you, you can press the seams open and it'll look more even, but to me that's just a huge pain and I don't do it unless the block has a spot where a bunch of seams come together. Pressing to the side like you've done here also helps seams nest together.

You're doing great!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 AM

Your quilt looks great! As for pressing seams, in your quilt I wouldn't press until the entire row is sewn together and then press all the same direction. When you have the next row ready to add, put them together (like you would be pinning together) and see which direction you need to press them. When you gain confidence and skills, you will try a more difficult pattern that will have pressing directions given. Since I neglected to read all of the pattern tidbits, my first quilt had seams going every which way. From the backside it was a mess, but it looked pretty decent from the front and the recipient never knew the difference. That quilt was quite the learning experience and I made it completely before I found this board (I certainly wish I would of had some of the wisdom that comes from the members when making that first quilt).
Old 06-26-2014, 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone! I was mainly concerned the awkward seams would cause odd bulking or something but it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

I initially was pressing my seams open (only had done a few) but had read that this could possibly lead to "bearding" - since I do plan to use this quilt I decided to press them to the sides instead. But boy they sure do lay flat with the open seams! When I get to making more decorative quilts I'm sure I'll use that technique at some point.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
Thanks everyone! I was mainly concerned the awkward seams would cause odd bulking or something but it doesn't sound like that will be the case.
For this pattern, bulky seams really won't matter much. It's only when you get into pinwheels and stars or designs with A LOT in one seam that it makes a big difference. 4 blocks coming together, it you accidentally have all the seams on the same side, no big deal, just be slow and steady when you quilt over them.

Leah Day teaches pressing open, even for bed quilts. I think she sets her stitch length a bit smaller than "normal" which probably prevents the batting peaking through.

I just press whatever is easiest when I'm at the ironing board- some open, some to the side, whatever. The front of the quilt matters. The inside does not.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Good grief!! I thought that was the front! Your blocks look great and the back will be covered when you make the quilt sandwich.