Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these? >

Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these?

Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM
pw6

WOW now that is a pattern to die for... keep us informed
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM

I have a DeJonge pattern, but found the directions confusing, so haven't attempted it. Also, on my pattern, all the measurements are in centimeters! I have done several of Niemeyer's patterns, and love them. She is very specific and organized. Just be sure to check her website 1st, as she posts corrections for the patterns there.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Her designs are spectacular. I've heard that the English translation is not very good, so my advice would be to be sure you understand the instructions before cutting into your fabric.
I have the center of the circle of life quilt done. You are right, the patterns are a bit hard to understand so do be sure you have "got it" before you start cutting. They are beautiful though, and I should just get back at mine and finish it. The hard part is done!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Great resource! Thank you for sharing. I love the pattern you like too :-).
Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sneed View Post
I made her "Morning Glory" several years ago. It was the very first paper piecing technique that I had ever even seen. She was at Hancock's of Paducah during the AQS show that year, probably five years ago. I was totally fascinated by the whole process and bought a couple of her patterns. It was a struggle, but is definitely doable. I just looked back at the pattern to see what notes I had scribbled on it, and if she still isn't doing the conversion from metric I went through the whole pattern and did that before beginning...1inch=2.54cm Many times these patterns tell you to cut out and bag everything before starting. I never do as IF you make an error, or IF when you stitch it together you decide it would look better with Fabric 1 and Fabric 2 switched and have chopped everything up you could be an unhappy stitcher. A friend entered it into a smaller local show as I didn't have the courage to do so, and it turned out to be my first blue ribbon...actually, my first ribbon. So, read carefully, trim very carefully, and follow the steps to a "t" until it all becomes second nature for you. I have since done a few more paper piecing and pressing after each seam with one of those handy little clover irons by your side is a great thing to do. Another thing, I like to use a finer thread than usual. At least a 50wt/2ply. I haven't looked at your particular pattern, but if it is not going to be a bed quilt and the piecing is quite small you could go to even an 80wt. The less bulk, the better. Hope some of this helps. Good luck, you can do it!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462475[/ATTACH]
Sneed - your quilt is spectacular! Thank you for all your tips. I will do the conversion on all patterns and I know I need to mark carefully. I had not thought about the thread so thank you too for that.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM

I am a relatively new quilter, who took one ultra quickie course doing a Judy Niemeyer runner for a challenge. Mostly observed as I was the only beginner in the class of over achievers and then did the runner on my own time. Then made a king sized paper pieced top ( being quilted as I write) but with a repetitive block...so I really got the approach down BIG TIME and discovered why these curvilinear designs make it more interesting! Then I took a discounted paper pieced course from a Craftsy to pick up some additional shortcuts and recently discovered DeJonge...wow WOW!! Liked the complexity, huge color pallet and ultimately picked a mid-level pattern with an endless amount of matched curves. Her templates do not have seam allowances... so what she shows in her video (bought that too) is to stitch around the edge using a 1/4" foot and then cut on the sew line. I made plastic templates adding a 1/4 seam using a compass and tracing the various arcs. Beware that some patterns might not have "paper templates" in the quantity needed and that a copyright should make an office supply store resist doing copies. Should they agree... only copy paper will likely be used and some say this type of paper is a big no no but it can/does work. I tried taking my initial block design, that gave you permission to copy, to a print shop because it was larger than standard copy sizes but finding newsprint that feeds properly, sizing and quantities all need to be considered. Newsprint from the local newspaper and cut to size...another wasted effort. The internet ultimately offered options on newsprint sizes but by then I had given up.

Back to construction:
Just remember the design is in reverse...so you might be tempted to sew from right to left but the finished piece is attached from right to left ...so sew left to right... hope this makes sense?

Hints: toss your add a quarter...big waste of time unless you cannot estimate and so what if you are off here and there the stitch length is so short...who cares? On the tight arcs...clip ( multiple times) the inner curve of the piece to attach, remove paper ( I suggest that you baste the multicolored curved sections with a long stitch to prevent stretching)...and then attach the base colors. Tried utube and bought some foot that was supposed to be great...might be for someone more dexterous than myself, but if you keep at it they get better and better. Besides I was told "once it is all quilted you will never see the slight variations...so stop being so OC!" So this is my crash course on J DeJ...she is one amazing designer, you can even play with her color suggestions and make it more "your own"...just go for it.

If you get into a snag write me...by the time you start doing yours I might have solved most of the problems and I can share more. I am a shortcut kind of guy who likes to make "jigs" but I do not cut corners when it comes to the final product...so if an amateur can do it you can too!

Last edited by Basketman; 07-13-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 AM

I have done a lot of Judy Niemeyer quilts, both big and small and I am currently working on Brilliant Beauties of Joy by Jackie de Jonge. I think there are pros and cons to both but I prefer Judy's patterns. The big con for Judy's patterns is the tremendous amount of fabric they require and Jackie's doesn't seem to be as much a fabric hog. Judy's instructions are easier to follow, and once you've learned to read her patterns you can do any of them. I watched a video class with Jackie on The Quilt Show before I started and I'm not sure I could have gotten as far as I have if I hadn't watched it.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

no help unless you need moral help!! That is quite a project. I always start with something smaller in a new adventure!! You are brave. Good luck, someone else will come along and give you some pointers I'm sure.

This is the one I've had my eye on.

http://www.alderwoodquilts.com/shopp...?ID=0319306420
This one is awesome. If you get to it, please start a thread and keep us updated as you progress. I would love to watch.
peace
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM

The Quilt Show had this DVD on their site to watch for free for a number of months last year. She goes thru the whole process step by step, to make this quilt. I watched it a couple times and found it to be very informative. The $19.99 price doesn't seem out of line to me.