Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the Janome Horizon 7700 >

the Janome Horizon 7700

the Janome Horizon 7700

Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM

I own the Janome 7700 and free motion quilt with the following settings:

- Push the D1 button to close the needle plate - This ensures the needle more accurately feeds inside the machine.

- DON'T lower your feed dogs! - I've found the machine has some tension issues with the feed dogs down. It works just fine with them up though, so don't bother dropping them for free motion quilting.

- Set your stitch length to 0 - This will mean the feed dogs will still move up and down, but they will not feed your quilt forward.

- Set tension on Auto and match your thread - use the exact same thread color, type, brand, etc in the top as in the bobbin.

I've never used blue bobbin or a different case. Personally I think that's kind of gimmicky and ridiculous to have to buy a new case just for free motion quilting. If it works for regular sewing and piecing, it should work for free motion quilting too.

I do use my machine in an Arrow Gidget 2 table and it not only fits perfectly, but I was able to use the extension table the machine came with as my insert.

I've compared this with the Janome table and they are made out of exactly the same materials, but the Arrow table is actually sturdier and can fit any machine.

And the price difference really is nice - Gidget 2 tables cost $169.99 - much cheaper!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM

How does the Janome 7700 compare to the baby lock esante? I haven't sewn in years and bought the baby lock. Have never made a quilt but getting ready to make one. Will this machine do quilting? I love the embroidery it does.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Thanks Leah!! I saw one webite...maybe yours that said to leave the dogfeeds up and I found that works great! I did buy the blue bobbin holder and used it yesterday....it worked good for a few seconds but now my bobbin will not turn. I put back in the old bobbin case same thing. I am sure it user error...mybe I am intstalling it wrong. It off to the dealer again to see if they can tell me what I am not doing correctlu or to fix it. Love having the warrenty....since I use my sewing machine everyweek...I am sure I will be making good use of it. Nice to know no cost to have it fixed.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Sears sells sewing tables from Arrow. Not sure if the on in this llnk is the same as the Gidit. the price of the table is 129.99. The Arrow website also stated that Joann also sells them. I will have to check their website too. They are offerring a coupon if you call Arrow. The number is on their facebook. I will have to call there today.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 AM

here is the link to the Arrow tables and cabinets from Joannes - http://www.joann.com:80/joann/search/searchall.jsp?keyword=arrow&catPath=All%20Products////Product%20Home////UserSearch1=arrow&_requestid=900220 - they sell the gidget - many are on sale.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 AM

oh...and for those of you that have the 7700 here are the tables and cabinets that will fit it. Gidget II, Bertha, Aussie and the Kangaroo all fit the Janome Horizon perfectly. (this was from Arrow facebook site)
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Did you have to buy the blue bobbin case in order to get good free motion quilting tension? I am hoping that is not the case since I would hate to have to be constantly changing the bobbin case in an out . Just bought the Horizon and my free motion tension is having trouble. I am going to swtich to topstitch needle so see if that helps. Do you use a particular thread as well? Thanks for any advice. Ann