Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: the Janome Horizon 7700

I am looking at purchasing the new Janome 7700, has anyone sewn on it, and how might it compare to the 9700. I am a quilter, but also want a machine for general sewing as well as a small amount of embroidery. I have sewn on a Singer Touch and Sew for about twenty years so this is a big leap.

Also I am looking for a dealer in Burlington who would sell this machine. Thank you

Blog Entries
    I love my 7700...I bought it so that I could do my own FMQ'ing. I did not like having to pay someone to do it for me and I really am not a big fan of tie quits. Once you get use to it...and use the right feet, needles and just get the feel of it...You will love it...using the right size needles is important as I recently learned.

love my 7700
    Name:  Attachment-179671.jpe
Views: 547
Size:  51.7 KB

I got mine in Feb and I love it. My FMQ is coming quite along. I also got the table it sits in, and that is wonderful as well. It IS a big leap...but IMO it's been SO worth it.

Blog Entries
    I have been looking for a sewing cabinet. I found a few I like but the hubby wants real wood...I hate to spend that much on a Kaola. I also want it to look like a nice pieace of furniture I can keep in my livingroom in the corner and one on wheels. I will look for the one I saw...love it but needs to be real wood.

Blog Entries
    http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...=shopping10&mr:referralID=1e459a9a-5f0d-11e0-a86a-001b2166c2c0
    This is the sewing cabinet/table I like...trying to figure out if the Jamone will fit.

I bought one last week and really love it.There is so much to learn and it sews very smooth.I am very happy.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to free motion quilt you will want the blue bobbin case.(30.00) also the quilting needles. they are only 5.99 - Alos I love the accufeed 1/4 foot you have to buy that separate too...its 24.99

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    If you are going to free motion quilt you will want the blue bobbin case.(30.00) also the quilting needles. they are only 5.99 - Alos I love the accufeed 1/4 foot you have to buy that separate too...its 24.99
    Why the blue bobbin case? I got the 1/4 foot with mine and I didn't know there was a quilting needle,where did you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Why the blue bobbin case? I got the 1/4 foot with mine and I didn't know there was a quilting needle,where did you get it from?
    I also don't understand the "blue" bobbin case, and I also received the 1/4 foot through the mail as they've changed it, but it was free. I did get the table that Janome has made to fit the Horizon and I love it, I'm short so putting it on top of table was just too high .. the table sits down and also has a place for the knee lift. I love it.

Blog Entries
    http://judyperez.blogspot.com/2008/0...ting-foot.html - I just found this blog...this is pretty much the same thing I found...once I started using the right needle the machine works like a dream...

I'm so jealous , I would love one of those! And its red, my favourite colour! Enjoy it if you get it, I have heard nothing but good!

Blog Entries
    http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...Ffor%5FAcuFeed
    this is the 1/4 inch Accufeed foot I bought. This is not the 02 foot.

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWUTuGv4zzs - I have not had this problem yet...but this is a good tool for those who are having troubles with thick seams.

Blog Entries
    I am still looking for the quilting needle but I came apon this...very helpful about choosing the correct needles http://www.suite101.com/content/choo...-needle-a42756

Blog Entries
    found it...I only paid 5.99 a pack...but this is what it is...check with your dealer...if you can not find a good price let me know and I will give you the email address of my Janome dealer http://compare.ebay.com/like/2002626...02_304662&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=0bc7b36212a0a0645c734403ffafc5f1&itemid=200262633928&ff4=263602_304662

Blog Entries
    found it...SCHMETZ Sewing 30 QUILTING Needles 6 packs size 90/14. I only paid 5.99 a pack...but this is what it is...check with your dealer...if you can not find a good price let me know and I will give you the email address of my Janome dealer http://compare.ebay.com/like/2002626...02_304662&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=0bc7b36212a0a0645c734403ffafc5f1&itemid=200262633928&ff4=263602_304662

I love my Horizon!!! Can't say enough about it, just love, love, love it.
    90/14 is a great size needle for quilting.

How does the horizon 7700 compare to a 9700, are they a similar machine, I do not have a dealer anywhere near me, that I have been able to find, so I am going a lot by word of mouth. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    These guys are wonderful...the website is not high tech but they are incredible...they know there stuff and have been there for ages...this is where I bought mine. They are honest will will give you answers on all machines. http://www.neveretts.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon
    How does the horizon 7700 compare to a 9700, are they a similar machine, I do not have a dealer anywhere near me, that I have been able to find, so I am going a lot by word of mouth. Thank you.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...=shopping10&mr:referralID=1e459a9a-5f0d-11e0-a86a-001b2166c2c0
    This is the sewing cabinet/table I like...trying to figure out if the Jamone will fit.
    I have that table but I didn't pay anywhere near what Kohls wants for it. I did find it considerably cheaper here: http://www.accent-furniture-direct.c...AU1134_5497794 but I'm not familiar with this vendor. I got mine at Walmart on a Black Friday sale a few years ago. Hubby cut a hole in it and built a shelf at just the right level to keep my Elna 7200 (very similar to a Janome mc6500/mc6600) level with the top. There are a few more inches to spare so the new Horizon 7700 might also fit but I would definitely be taking a tape measure with me to the Janome dealer to make sure before plunking down $250 for it. I'm sure it will sit on top just fine, though.

Have you considering buying an old wooden table and having someone cut the appropriate size hole and build a bracket shelf under it? I saw Eleanor Burns and her son do this on one of her tv shows several years ago. Lots of area to the left & behind to support the weight of all those quilts you'll be working on with your new toy--LOL!

There was a picture of my table on the board. Last fall or late summer, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gideon
    I am looking at purchasing the new Janome 7700, has anyone sewn on it, and how might it compare to the 9700. I am a quilter, but also want a machine for general sewing as well as a small amount of embroidery. I have sewn on a Singer Touch and Sew for about twenty years so this is a big leap.

Also I am looking for a dealer in Burlington who would sell this machine. Thank you
    Hi...I have the 7700 and love it :) I don't know the 9700 at all and the little I saw when I googled it, it looks quite small in the throat area and it appears it does embroidery.

The 7700 has an 11" throat space with is wonderful if you are going to quilt. However, it is not an embroidery machine, if that is what you are wanting. It does have 3 different styles of alphabet for a bit of monogramming but they are quite limited really, compared to what I've seen an embroidery machine do.

The 7700 has the Accufeed system (which is a built in walking foot system) that you can buy various feet for (some come with the machine). They are really great for using when constructing quilts as they feed all the layers through evenly and I use mine all the time. Even for normal sewing at times. The 7700 is certainly suitable for general sewing, just not for embroidery.

the bobbin case that has the blue dot on it is for free motion quilting or embroidery. It's supposed to have a slightly different tension for that kind of work. I use it often and with a bobbin washer as well.

Blog Entries
    I have had my 7700 for about 6 months now and love, love, love it. I even use it on my quilting frame because she's so big!
    I have no problem with 1/4" seams. I'm not too impressed with feet that have a blade on them so this is what I do.
    I use my walking foot for almost everything, including piecing. I pick a landmark on the foot as my guide. For instance, the outside edge of the right hand rectangular opening. Then I move my needle to the right until my stitch is exactly the scant 1/4" that I want. For me, it's when the stitch width number is 6.0
    The blue dot bobbin case is not necessary for FMQ, only if you're going to use "exotic" weights of thread for thread painting etc. The regular case works just fine for most threads that you'd use for piecing or regular quilting.
    The screw on the side of the bobbin case is the tension adjustment and is easy to adjust.
    Personally, I think once you fall in love with Janome, you'll never go back to another machine.

I have the Horizon too. Recently purchased it to do FM. Friends have it too....and we all love it. We all also have Janome embroidery machines and small Janome machines for travel...

TJB

I think for the money you pay for this machine it should come with everything you will ever need.

tjb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast