Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Viking >

Janome vs Viking

Janome vs Viking

Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 AM

I have a Janome 6500P and HAD a Viking 875 Saphire. I still have the Janome and got rid of the Viking, if that helps.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM

I have had both a Janome and a viking. I love my viking far more than I ever liked my Janome. I have the viking Tribute 140c which replaced the Sapphire 855. Its amazing for free motion. The stitches are beautiful. Also if you do any machine applique this sewing machine is perfect for it. The pressure foot has auto lift so you never have to raise or lower your pressure foot manually.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM

I have a Viking 875Q, I would not buy another Viking - very tempermental. I have a 11 year old Janome - buy a Janome, but look for a demo model or a trade in.

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I have a Janome 6500P and HAD a Viking 875 Saphire. I still have the Janome and got rid of the Viking, if that helps.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I have a Viking 875Q, I would not buy another Viking - very tempermental. I have a 11 year old Janome - buy a Janome, but look for a demo model or a trade in.
This is funny. I have 3 Vikings and they aren't tempermental at all. I can use any kind of thread; I Never have to set the tension, it adjust itself. I started out with a Ruby and the went up to a Diamond Deluxe, I also have a #1 emb machine and a mega quilter. No problems, what ever anyone gets they should try them out at the dealers first so that you can see if the dealer and the machine are a good fit. You can't beat good customer service.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM

Yes, I did a queen size on my Brother Ultra Embroidery machine. I did it on my dining room table with leaves in it. I rolled the quilt and started in the center and worked out to the side. Just do this on each side and top and bottom.
I is much easier if you have a large table to support your quilt. Re roll each side as you start on that side.
Good luck. It wasn't easy, but it is doable. I didn't know about the vinal or not lowering the feed dog. I'm going to try that on a baby quilt that is ready to quilt today.
Good luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM

I have the Sapphire 830 and love it. It has a 10 in harp space, I measured it. No lever to lift the foot.
It will automatically raise and lower the foot just a little when in needle down. Love that feature.
Have had it for years with no problems and I use plain old Coats and Clark thread with no problems.
The only problem is if you are trying to sew over lumps like hems, it dosnt like it and will just sit in one spot.
For quilting it is great.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks everyone. It took me a while to find my post! Still learning how to use this forum. I looked a Juki but I want a place that will locally service them. After much thought I decided I really wanted a Janome 6600P - I did not want to buy a machine and in a year or so wish I had gotten what I really wanted. But could not find one under $1800 in my area. I visited several quilt stores and they say they rarely see them come up used.

I did see one this weekend that was on auction at ebay and bid on it - but it wound up going for just under $1400!

So I found a Janome 6500P that had everything I wanted and had an extra package with a case and most all the feet I will need. I comprimised on my price and got it for just under $1400.

Your comments have really helped and I have enjoyed reading the posts. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM

I have a Viking Sapphire 830 which I bought gently used. I have done over 150 quilts on this machine and love it. I can do up to a 120" x 120" FMQ and if you get the spring action open toe foot for quilting you can really zip along over the bumpy parts of your quilt. The only reason I would replace this machine is for something that goes faster. I can use any thread with it but have to increase the size of the needle with some thicker threads. I am so glad I bought this machine it has given me thousands of hours of piecing and FMQ with little trouble.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
I have a Juki that I bought for less than $800 years ago...it is the TL98Q and she's a dream for free motion...she has a 9" throat, nothing fancy just straight stitch and free motion but that's all you need to make a quilt!!! I think the newer model is a 2000 or something..Brother also has one that is comparable I think...
I have 2 Vikings, and I love both of them, but surprisingly, the older one is the better machine. It has no computer and uses cams for stitches-( I bought it used and put $220 in it for cleaning, oiling, and repairs) but it stitches anything, any thickness, never misses a beat. But for FMQ, last year I bought a Juki 2010, for $900, and it is one amazing machine. It has a stitch regulator, does 1500 spm, and i never have tension problems, thread breakage, or skipped stitches.