Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mechanical or Electrical? Janome/Juki/Viking? >

Mechanical or Electrical? Janome/Juki/Viking?

Mechanical or Electrical? Janome/Juki/Viking?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Default Mechanical or Electrical? Janome/Juki/Viking?

I am looking to buy a new machine and I'm finding it more confusing as I start to research more. I keep thinking that I've narrowed it down and then another machine will come along and gets me looking in another direction. I am starting to quilt more and want to have a machine that I can start to FMQ on. I wanted to stay below $500.

Features I am looking for:

Sturdy machine (that's part of the confusion: whether to go Mechanical, or will an electrical machine be alright?)
Straight and zigzag
Needle up/down
speed control

So, I had (originally) narrowed it down to either a Janome or Juki. Then just added Viking to the mix.

The machines that I'm looking at:
The Mechanical choices:
*Janome HD3000
*Juki TL2010Q (but it was a out of my price range and doesn't have all of the features I want)
*Viking Emerald 118

Electrical choices:
*Janome 4030p (currently at Costco right now and favoring since they have a good return policy)
*Janome 8077
*Janome 7360
*Juki g110 or g210, would LOVE the higher F model series also

As you can see my list is more than the 2 or 3 that I thought I'd start with or narrow down to. Does anyone have suggestions as far as their experience with Mechanical vs. Electrical? Which machine(s) have you used from the list and what were your thoughts on it?

Thanks for any advice! And hopefully I can make up my mind soon

Last edited by safiastyle; 07-23-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM

Looks like you have narrowed the choice to janome. I would check you have a dealer for servicing close to. You never know when they will be needed and you don't want an extremely long ride.

not sure what you mean by mechanical and electric. All these machines run on electricity and are mechanical. For free motion it is easier if the machine has a large throat.

Sorry this is as far as I can help now until I understand your descriptions. Too early in the day for my brain to work.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 PM

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/br...ect-runway.php
This is an awsome machine with great reviews that meets your criteria.
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/br...ingmachine.php
This is also a great machine but out of your price range.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 AM

Sounds like you are comparing mechanical (straight stitch only) to computerized (straight, zigzag, decorative) machines.

Of the ones you've listed, I can only comment on the Juki TL2010q. It is awesome! It is quite a workhorse and worth every penny, IF that is the kind of machine you are looking for. But it sounds like you are looking for a variety of stitches.

Juki also makes computerized machines (Juki HZL, nicknamed Hazel). There are several models, starting in the $200+ price range. The more expensive ones have a wider throat and more stitches. Otherwise they are basically the same machine. When it's time to replace my computerized machine, I will check them out since I'm so happy with the Juki I have now.

http://www.allbrands.com/categories/2512
Old 07-24-2015, 02:40 AM

I have two Jukis, the TL98Q (earlier version of the TL2010) and the Exceed 600. Although both of these machines are out of your price range, they are great and sew rings around my Janome 6500 (which should have been painted yellow). It really boils down to buying a machine which works for you and matches your stitching requirements and your budget. There are no perfect machines out there. Many quilters absolutely love their Janomes but I didn't. If you have a local quilt guild, you might find a member wanting to sell her good used machine as she is buying something newer. That's how I got my first Juki (less than half price and only a couple of years old!)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I love my JukiTL2010Q. It is so strong (ALL METAL) and is fabulous for FMQ and walking foot quilting. It's all mechanical... no computerized stuff to go wrong. It was worth every cent I paid. I've made so many quilts on it!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Machanical machines can also do zig zag and decorative stitches. I have two that do that. Basic Brother machines.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 AM

I want to add my comments about the Juki! I have two: the TL2010q, which I paid full price for and have never regretted purchasing. I also have the Juki F400 from the Exceed Series, which is the machine I probably use the most. I bought that one used for $500, directly from my dealer. I love this machine. I thought about the HZL series, but it was too noisy for me and I just didn't like it as much when I was trying it out. I can't say enough good things about either Juki. I'm so glad I have them. If you have a Juki dealer in your area and love the Exceed series, you might consider asking your dealer if she has a floor model or used model she's willing to sell. When I was purchasing my TL2010, I wanted to stay below $500, but loved the machine so much that I put it on layaway.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
not sure what you mean by mechanical and electric. All these machines run on electricity and are mechanical. For free motion it is easier if the machine has a large throat.
I think I was thinking computerized, not electrical ☺️
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM

If you just want it to FMQ and have another machine for piecing I would go with the juki 2010. They are very popular for FMQ. I think the other machines listed the harp size is not as big so it would be more of a struggle. If you want to go computerized I would go with the juki F-600 or janome skyline as they both are popular with good reviews. They are over your budget, but it is better to invest than spend 500 now wanting to upgrade to a larger harp in a year. Some dealers will do layaway or have financing if you can't afford it all at once to help make it more affordable. I suggest visiting a juki/janome dealer. Viking are nice but I hear when fixing getting parts takes forever so that is something to take into consideration with that brand

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 07-24-2015 at 11:01 AM.