Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
John Flynn Quilt Frame ? >

John Flynn Quilt Frame ?

John Flynn Quilt Frame ?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:09 AM

Default John Flynn Quilt Frame ?

Has anyone used the John Flynn Quilt Frame, and if so, what was your experience with it? Thanks.
http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...n-multi-frame/
Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I saw him demo it in the mid 90s. He is a really nice soft spoken man. It was too cumbersome for me with such a small width between the poles. I still have my Bernina 1530 which only has a 7" throat. I machine quilt the old fashion way, pin baste and roll up the quilt. Never has been a problem for me.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 AM

Don't waste your money...way too many of these frames are left in closets of sewing rooms everywhere......you need a lot of space to quilt a very small area. Sorry to say not a must have product.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

This has been discussed several times. If you use the search option, you can see other opinions.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t139438.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t235908.html

we have had some discussions on this.
Try using the search function for more info
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ohstr View Post
Don't waste your money...way too many of these frames are left in closets of sewing rooms everywhere......you need a lot of space to quilt a very small area. Sorry to say not a must have product.

I used this frame for years for small quilts and even did a queen with longer poles and longer table set up. It worked great. It took practice, not a try to use it twice and stick it in the closet. I didn't need a lot of space at all, one fold out table was fine.
It is great for edge to edge quilting. I used it until I bought a sit down quilting machine. This frame paid for itself after a couple of quilts were quilted even if I never used it again.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 AM

Southernmema, if you live anywhere close to me you are welcome to use mine. I bought it years ago but had the same issues the others stated. I recently pulled it out of a closet thinking I might use it for basting quilts . But haven't even done that.
I live in the Atlanta area & you can PM me if you'd like
Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I have two straight stitch only machines with 9" throats and I just use them to FMQ. Doubt I would use a frame. My sewing room doesn't have enough room for any kind of frame.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:15 PM

To the nay sayers I say, "Not everyone can afford a full size quilting frame. Not everyone can wrestle a full sized quilt over and over through a common sewing machine." John's frame fills a need. It seems a bit slower than a full sized frame but it does fold up and fits in a closet. If I didn't get a real steal on a Tin Lizzy I would have bought one from John. I certainly didn't feel like hauling another queen sized quilt through the throat of my Bernina. Once was enough.

For those of you that put the frame in a closet... what do you use now instead? tim in san jose
Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

I tried John Flynn's frame several years ago at a quilt show in PA or VT and liked it. Bought one at a quilter's stash sale and haven't set it up only because I haven't been doing any significant quilting for a long time. I clearly would need to practice a while, but I'm sure it will work fine for my needs. There's a good link to the tutorial video from his blog.