Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decisions

Decisions

I am sure you quilters can help me out. I want to use some of the fabric I have been collecting. It is not a big stash, but I would rather not buy new fabric when I have some. Do I need a pattern first? How do I convert jelly roll, charms, etc. patterns into the yardage I have. I am looking to make some baby quilts, charity quilts and possibly a twin size. By the way, I am in my upper 70"s and really would like to use what I have.

There was a recent post where someone's mother 78 years old passed on all her fabric to her. That made me wonder am I getting too old to quilt. I love to create and hate to have to give up yet.

To answer you last comment first...NO you are not too old to quilt! I'm almost 72 & plan to be quilting for many, many years from now. I don't know if you are familiar with Bonnie Hunter but she makes wonderful scrap quilts & you might check out her site here:

http://www.quiltville.com/

She has a lot of free patterns & tons & tons of valuable information on her site.

Go for it & never stop doing what you love!

No, you are not too old to quilt... I am 73, mow my own lawn, clean my swimming pool filter, prune my bushes, garden, keep chicken and I still have time to quilt. I do the outside work in the morning, come in take a shower, a nap and then quilt in the evening. I also have a HQ16 that I quilt for myself, friends and others.

My daughter, who also quilts, comes shopping in my stash. We have discussed what will happen to my stash and my sewing machines (7).

O hope you don't think this is morbid but I want my son to make my casket lined with my favorite quilt and a rotary cutter in my hand..

So never give up, have fun doing what you like to do.

In my mom's senior quilting group you would be the young one. One of the ladies just turned 98 and she is still going strong!!!

No, you definitely are not too old to quilt. I am 79 and started quilting 4 years ago. I quilt every spare minute as there is so much I want to quilt. And I am having so much fun! I love using pre cuts because they save me time. Most of the patterns I use are for precuts. When I want to use yardage to make my own precuts, I use the slots of the June Taylor Shape Cut Pro to cut 10" or 5" squares or 2 1/2" jelly roll strips. I have the electric AccuQuilt Go Big; but, for me, there is less fabric waste with the Shape Cut Pro and I have used it so much that I am very fast with the cutting. I hope you will quilt and that you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Blog Entries
    Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Company has lots of video tutorials on YouTube--she makes quick and easy quilts.

This site lists the sizes of pre-cuts--you can cut them from yardage to suit a pattern that calls for pre-cuts: http://www.quiltwithmo.com/fabric-terms.htm
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Keep quilting!! It keeps the mind active.

No such thing as too old to quilt!

as for using your stash, I tend to look for patterns first, keeping in mind my stash fabric and quantities. Once I have matched up piles of fabric to a pattern, THEN I start cutting. The trick is going through patterns/pictures of quilts and finding the pattern that suit your fabric and quilting skills.

If if you are looking for some simple designs, think about a 3 or 5 rail fence pattern---you can make it work with almost all fabrics. Another is a simple square in a square pattern if you have lots of small cuts and FQs.

Power Poster
    If you want to and are able to - you are young enough to do so!

Your never too old to quilt. I am 72 and quilt almost every day. It gets so "bad" that I dream about quilting my latest creation. One bad habit I have is starting the next quilt before finishing the one I am working on. I enjoy making difficult patterns, and have 3 almost ready to quilt. My new machine has a larger harp so I can quilt on it. I have recently made 3 or 4 twin sized using mainly my stash. The only problem is my stash seems just the same size as it's always been.
    Sue

My Grand mother hand quilted until she was over 103, when she says, her eyes just gave out on her. At 106 she still likes to handle my finished quilts, she says her hands are her eyes now. She checks my points, and reminds me my stiches need to be smaller. And she's right.

Due to my disability, I am still quilting. I do try to lean more towards selecting easier patterns. One of my favorite free patterns is Warm Wishes found easily by Google.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I never thought of anyone being too old to quilt. When you find a pattern you like, cut your fabric to the size of the pieces in the pattern. A jelly roll strip is 2 1/2" wide. A charm square is 5" square. A layer cake is 10" square. These are the basic pre cut sizes.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    "Too old to quilt" is an oxymoron. If you are looking at patterns that use precuts, here are some rough figures (assuming that fabric has 40" usable after selvedges are removed). One yard will yield 12 layer cake squares, with 6" left over. 1 1/8 yards should give you 16. One yard will also yield 56 charm squares, or 14 or 15 jelly roll atrips.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    Krisb gave some of the measurements necessary to convert yardage to pre-cuts. I wish I could remember where I saw a complete fabric cutting chart!

You're not too old to quilt....I'll be 73 in a month and still live by myself, take care of myself, and quilt my head off. I have a long arm, and 18 machines that mostly all work (after I worked on them!); two poodle pups who think they are the boss of me, 5 kids, 14 grands, 5 great grands and 2 more on the way, and one great-great grand! I also still drive myself anywhere I want to go and do pretty much what I want to. oh....I'm also awaiting a heart valve replacement surgery in a couple more weeks. After that, I'll be hard to hold down!! So yes!!!!! Quilt to your heart's content! Your health will tell you when you can't! (I HAVE to continue to quilt....I have a stash that's unbelievable and no one who's interested in learning how to use all of it!)
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

You are not too old to quilt. If you have access to an Accuquilt cutter, you could reduce a pile of fabric to pieces in very little time. They have many free patterns on their website. All of the pieces are designed to go together easily, as ll dog ears are cut off.

You're not too old to quilt. I have a friend who is 92. She's still quilting and attends our monthly quilt group - as long as she can get a ride.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

NO you are definitely not to old to quilt. My DD's and I just returned from a trip to Lancaster Pa. down in Amish country and spent three days fabric shopping. I am 80 yrs young and plan on doing a lot more quilting. Enjoy

Blog Entries
    Same here. Our average age is right up there and going strong!
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    In my mom's senior quilting group you would be the young one. One of the ladies just turned 98 and she is still going strong!!!

Blog Entries
    why in the world would you give something up that you like?
    go for it and do what you want to do
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Doing something creative keeps your brain younger and working better. I just read an article the other day about this and quilting was one of the activities listed.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Hope you will be inspired to continue quilting,unless health problems are a problem. I opened a quilt/fabric/sewing machine shop when my family had all left for college and careers. I am grateful for so much, the opportunity, a cooperative family, and some wonderful employees, business associates, that made everyday special. I retired a month before I turned 80. And besides having a BIG stash, I still occasionally buy fabrics, because I love the colors, or think I want them. I have enjoyed sharing supplies, fabrics, and even teaching still for charities. Also enjoy making things for gifts, must admit my accomplishments have slowed down, mostly because of many other interests also. And when God calls me from this life, the family knows to share me treasured stash with charities, friends and other quilters to be treasured by some one else. I have written this to encourage you to continue enjoying life and what you can. And I admire you for using what you have also. Hopefully that does not detour your thinking by not entitling yourself to some new also. May God bless you, your life and your quilting. I am encouraged by so many people that write on the forum also.

Here is a PDF by MSQC on what precuts are used for some of their patterns and how many you need for different size quilts: http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/wp-c...nfographic.pdf
    Hope it helps.

I am 74 here and not about to quit quilting or painting lol.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast