Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joseph's Coat >

Joseph's Coat

Joseph's Coat

Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Joseph's Coat

Has anyone done this pattern? I recently found templates for this pattern on eBay...bought it,re'd it last week and this morning thought I would dive in and try. I once tried it by hand...making templates w/ compass....but I am not good at judging that 1/4" seam. So.....I cut some scraps and muslin for center....it's a gentle curve so with careful pinning,slow sewing I gave managed to make one circle. I think I like doing it with the machine, for me easier than hand....this will be a long term project..I will just accumulate scrap petals and see how far I can go......if you have done one...show pics, please to encourage me to continue and not let this be a UFO........
Old 09-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

It's a gorgeous pattern. Are they appliqued on top of a square or do you make all of those curved seams? Let's see your progress.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

I have always tried to stay away from curved seams. Good Luck !!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:02 PM

As far as judging the seam, you can buy a little circle with a small hole in center that you put the pencil lead in and roll it around the outside edge of the template (must be stiff or thicker than paper to work). The pencil will mark a 1/4" edge around the template. Don't know the name of it and can't look for it right now. DH is asking where his dinner is. It's only 5pm!! They are so impatient!
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Dinner fixed! Found the item. It's called a Quilter's Wonder Wheel by Dritz. I found a picture on Walmart's website: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dritz-Quil...Wheel/32833502

If you are interested in buying one, at least you will know what it looks like. It says it is not available at this time, but someone will have one.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Dinner fixed! Found the item. It's called a Quilter's Wonder Wheel by Dritz. I found a picture on Walmart's website: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dritz-Quil...Wheel/32833502

If you are interested in buying one, at least you will know what it looks like. It says it is not available at this time, but someone will have one.

Ohhhh, I have one of those! I bought it when I placed an order at an online shop and needed a couple more dollars for free shipping. Of course I have absolutely no idea where it is!!

I know I have seen it at Hancock Fabrics. . .

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 09-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I've used mine for 18 years with templates for that perfect 1/4" seam allowance. I thought the thing was called Dream Seamer, but I surely can't remember!

Jan in VA
Old 09-22-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post

Thanks for reminding me!
Yes, actually now I have three of those little things. The first I hunted for when I attempted this pattern by hand with hand made templates, ugh! After having to special order that silly thing from LQS, they kept popping up everywhere I went, so I stocked up, just in case! Actually the curves on this are quite shallow and when sewn with petal on top the seam just eases itself in quite nicely....but, had to use tweezers once or twice to grab the tail and keep it where I wanted it as I approached the end.... But just for the neck of it, I may dig out one of the wonder wheels--- now where did I put them!--and try this by hand...just to see!

Last edited by Geri B; 09-22-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 AM

I have a set of these that I had from my stamping/scrapbooking days. I guess I'll pull them out of storage and put them in with my quilting supplies.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 AM

I am confused, how does this work and what exactly does it do