Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Judge Or Not To Judge >

To Judge Or Not To Judge

To Judge Or Not To Judge

Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I think a decent judge will give carrots along with the stick. One thing I know they look for is good binding. What have you got to lose? Just do it. A little criticism can only help you make a better quilter.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I am all for getting your new quilt appraised.
I've had many quilts appraised over the past 15 years. You might find yourself quite surprised that your ( new) quilt holds a lot more value than what you are giving it credit for.
My first appraisal was on a stack and whack quilt, I liked it but it wasn't ( what I considered spectacular). the appraisal was much higher than I ever expected. Appraisals are good to have for insurance instances, if anything happens to the quilt also they are nice to send copies of if you gift or sell the quilt. I had a wool hand appliqué quilt appraised, had approximately $500 into making the quilt and probably 100+ hours. The quilt appraised for $3,750. I sold it for $2,800 and sent a copy of the appraisal with it.
I had my kids wedding gift quilts appraised so they could include the appraisal with their insurance inventory.
Having a quilt appraised is a good experience. I've only gone to American Quilter Society Certified Appraisers, so far it has always cost $50 they took pictures, did measurements, asked many questions, and made notes about the quilt ( including many things judges look at like even bindings, straight lines/ seams and balanced, complimentary quilting) then I received my certified appraisal in the mail about 3 weeks later.

As for show judging, that too is a good experience, the critique can be very helpful and you might just win a ribbon which is always fun
Old 04-10-2017, 11:14 AM

I am also in the camp of no judging. I have shared my quilts in non-juried quilt shows and that is very rewarding, I am just not a competitive person. I also do not need a critique of my work by judges who go by a set of "quilt police rules". I know what I do well in my quilting process and what I need to improve on without a judge to tell me. I quilt for my enjoyment and to give quilts away to make others happy and warm. JMHO
Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Enter them to be judged. Six years ago I put two quilts in a quilt show, in the unjudged category. As I walked around during the show, I realized my quilts were as good as most of those being judged. Plus my quilts had their feelings hurt that I didn't think they were good enough to be judged....when the truth is I don't have a competitive bone in my body. But my sister is in charge of the Quilt Show, so I was being supportive.

Our quilt show is every two years. Four years ago I entered 5 quilts (we had advertised 100 quilts and my sister asked me to enter all I could so we could make that number.) I won 3 ribbons, a first, second and third. Two years ago I entered 7 quilts, same reasons. I won 5 ribbons. Two first, two second, and one third.

So, ya just never know. I only plan to enter 3 next time. Of course, that could change if my sister needs me to enter more.

Dina
Old 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM

My experience with judging has been positive. The comments always include something positive and then it may have needs improvement in.... I have won ribbons. Bear in mind that sometimes there aren't many entries in a given category and a quilt may ribbon because it doesn't have competition. I try to take my ribbons when they come with a grain of salt especially the blue ribbon I got in a category that only had 3 entries. One quilt that I did the quilting on won viewers choice and 2nd place. The first place quilt wasn't nearly as striking or labor intensive but the judge said she liked mitered corners and all the blocks in the first place quilt had mitered corners done well.

Have fun and be judged if you'd like an opinion on what you can improve.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Judging varies, depending on the event.
Sometimes the judges are quite qualified ... and sometimes they know pretty much nothing!
I know one who was a quilt judge, and had never made a quilt.
Yes, she knew how to sew, but now admits that she knew nothing about quilting when she judged.

Whereas, some shows, the judges have met the national standardized qualifications.
Part of those standards requires them to give quality feedback, both positive and for improvements too.

Some judges only "place" quilts. Some give comments.
Sometimes lots of comments. Sometimes both good and bad.
Sometimes they can be very critical, without even saying anything good!

I have experienced all sorts of judging .....
Sometimes you just need a thick skin, and the ability to just ignore what they say!

The best way to find out how your quilt(s) will be judged, what you will find out as a result, how skilled the judge is, etc. would be to contact the show contact and ask the questions you have.

Likewise about the appraisal .... varies.

Your local people should be able to give you much more accurate info, than any of us here on the QB can.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 PM

I had mine judged and was very happy with the criticism. I learned. They look for straight lines, seems they like heavier quilting , feathers etc. Go for it, they are not out to hurt your feelings
Old 04-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

The local guild shows that I enter do this. I always have them judged so I get feed back and learn what I can improve on. I don't care at all about getting placed, or ribbons. The information the judges write up are valuable. As to knowing which category to enter a quilt in, you have to read the requirements for each one and choose the best fit for your quilt.

good luck.
peace
Old 04-11-2017, 03:10 AM

You will never learn what judges are looking for if you do not enter quilts in the judging portion of the show. Be prepared to take any negative comments as areas where you can grow as a quilter. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Having a quilt appraised--
I Have had a quilt appraised and the form I got back from the appraiser indicated not only a value, but also the criteria that was used in determining the value for insurance purposes. By getting it appraised I now have a documented value for that particular quilt should it ever be lost, damaged, stolen, destroyed etc. in shipping, while on display or even while stored at my home studio. Otherwise the only thing I could hope to recover in the event of a loss would be the cost of the materials.

Rob