Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter? >

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Has any one else but me found their perfect-whatever June Tailor ruler chewed up by their rotary cutter?

I had a Dritz which I loved because you could be a left-hander and see the cutter blade easily. But it chewed up my June Tailor ruler where you moosh the ruler into a slot.

So... I went to JoAnns and bought an Olfa on the firefly sale. I won't buy the ones you have to press a lever to get the blade out because I am used to the presss-down Dritz method.

The Olfa is hard to seethe blade if left-handed. It mostly works but has also cheweed up a couple slots in the ruler.

SO... now I have blades trashed by cutting plastic and I am still wondering how to cut on a slot ruler without ruining it. I am going to file down the plastic gouges, and if that doesn't work I am going to light a match and soften it up.

I do love it when it works - after I 'learned' to cut straight 22" strips I broke down and bought a big one, and the small one I bought for HST/QST before I knew what those terms meant is awesome, unless I chew it up.

HOW??? do you use a June T or other slot ruler without cutting into the plastic? Am i the only spazz on this board?(don't feel you need to hold back - I know I am a spazz and have great sense of humor)

Thanks, Sue
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Sue.....I also had a June Taylor ruler that was gouged by my rotary cutter. This is the only kind of ruler that I have had problems with so I contacted June Taylor and asked why. I stated that this is what a ruler is for and should not be gouged by a cutter. They apologized and sent me a new ruler. I felt as if the ruler was too flimsy. I don't have that problem with an Olfa.
Happy quilting,
Sue
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM

I can't use my Dritz press down cutter with the slot rulers. I have to use my Olfa cutter and hold it almost straight up and this works fine. When the ruler was new the plastic gouging happened much more often than now that it is well used. I don't know if the slots were less defined then or that I fine tuned them with my cutter.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Sue,

I'm beginning to think we are sisters from another mother! Both lefties and both gouging the June Tailor.

JUST last night I went to watch the JT demo videos because I was sure there was something I was doing wrong. I watched them all and noticed that when the woman puts the blade in to start it's on an angle and then she straightened it up when she starts cutting down the channel. I plan on trying that. It think we might be ever so slightly off of straight when using them and that's causing the problem.

later sis!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
saf

Originally Posted by SueSew
Has any one else but me found their perfect-whatever June Tailor ruler chewed up by their rotary cutter?

I had a Dritz which I loved because you could be a left-hander and see the cutter blade easily. But it chewed up my June Tailor ruler where you moosh the ruler into a slot.

So... I went to JoAnns and bought an Olfa on the firefly sale. I won't buy the ones you have to press a lever to get the blade out because I am used to the presss-down Dritz method.

The Olfa is hard to seethe blade if left-handed. It mostly works but has also cheweed up a couple slots in the ruler.

SO... now I have blades trashed by cutting plastic and I am still wondering how to cut on a slot ruler without ruining it. I am going to file down the plastic gouges, and if that doesn't work I am going to light a match and soften it up.

I do love it when it works - after I 'learned' to cut straight 22" strips I broke down and bought a big one, and the small one I bought for HST/QST before I knew what those terms meant is awesome, unless I chew it up.

HOW??? do you use a June T or other slot ruler without cutting into the plastic? Am i the only spazz on this board?(don't feel you need to hold back - I know I am a spazz and have great sense of humor)

Thanks, Sue
I have had the same problem and I'm right handed. Thought it was just me.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Have you tried using the smaller sized rotary cutter? It worked well for me.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SharBear
Sue,

I'm beginning to think we are sisters from another mother! Both lefties and both gouging the June Tailor.

JUST last night I went to watch the JT demo videos because I was sure there was something I was doing wrong. I watched them all and noticed that when the woman puts the blade in to start it's on an angle and then she straightened it up when she starts cutting down the channel. I plan on trying that. It think we might be ever so slightly off of straight when using them and that's causing the problem.

later sis!
SharBear & SueSew, Make that triplets!
I have the same issue, always thought it was just me being careless. From now on I'm going to blame it on June Tailor for not making one just for lefties! (like there would be a difference - not!)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM

i also love my jt slotted ruler,but have nearly ruined it [not cheap!]i am rt handed,have tried everything,it's like the slots aren'tccut thru at the start, glad to know i'm not the only one!
dar
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

yes I hate them-they are too thin and too soft-I have wrecked 3 of them-will never buy that brand again.I need the thicker harder ones.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

I have one of June's rulers but I have not tried to use it with a rotary cutter because it was thin plastic and not like the Fons and Porter's Ruler I have.