Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just can't get it >

Just can't get it

Just can't get it

Old 11-12-2016, 12:18 PM

I am not an expert at anything but knowing how to find answers. "The Art of Machine Piecing" by Sally Collins is one of the best references I have ever come across. I am a bookaholic and most of my quilt books strongly suggest you sew a test sample like what madquilter suggests, and PaperPrincess sent you a link to. Seams Sew Precise is a small template with seams marked all the way from scant 1/4" up to 1" with small holes to line up the needle for placing a stick'em guide on the needle plate. I like to use it and Bonnie Hunter's credit card set-up to make a guide that I tape to the machine. I wish you success and joy with your stitching journey.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Also, along with the other comments about rulers and cutting, I have to say that when I started using a different, thinner bobbin thread, my own blocks were much more accurate. Why? Because you can press the seams flatter with a thinner thread. I use either The Bottom Line by Superior Threads or Guttermann bobbin thread. Guttermann is available at Jo-Ann's. The slight extra cost is more than worth it when I am not encountering hours of frustration when blocks or their sub-units are too small.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

I second JenniePenny's recommend about using fine thread. My blocks are more accurate since I switched to Aurifil 50-wt cotton thread. It is much more difficult for me to be precise when using regular 3-ply thread.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:25 PM

I guess I'm less concerned w/ the exact measurement, as long as i'm consistent. That means cutting the pieces using the same ruler, using the same thread, same machine and using the same mark for my 1/4" My blocks always go together nicely and my quilts turn out great.

Now - an exception would be if i was making blocks for a block exchange, then precision is a necessity.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=Prism99;7697957]

Have you actually done the strip test? That is the easiest way to figure out how to adjust your cutting and seam allowance. I think a link was posted earlier in this thread. It means cutting 3 strips 2-1/2" wide, sewing them together, pressing, then measuring. Until that measurement comes out to 6-1/2" exactly, you do not want to be attempting complicated blocks with lots of seam allowances.

I too would recommend doing this test.
A lot of instructors say not to use the lines on your cutting board, but I use them all the time.
I place the edge of my fabric on one of the board lines so that the line barely shows.
Now place the ruler so that the 2.5" line is on top of the board line your fabric is against.
All the other lines on your ruler should match up with the board lines - this helps me make a straight cut.
Cut several groups of 2.5" strips, so that you can try different ways.
Sew 3 strips together with what you think is you 1/4" seam. Press it open, it should measure 6.5".
If it is too small adjust your needle to the right to make the seam smaller.
If it is too big, adjust your needle to the left to make the seam larger.
Even the 1/4" foot needs the needle adjusted to different points on different machines.
Good luck!! Ann
Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I put my ruler line on the outside of the fabric edge. Just that teeny bit of extra is important enough to matter. Honestly I use my Go dies for 99% of all my cuttings. Have you tried sewing pre cut squares (charm pack) together to check your 1/4 seam? I mark my 1/4" on my machine with tape or some other edge at least 4" long. No way I can sew a straight seam without a guide.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I also cut like Tartan does.

When I measure the pieces afterwards, they are a "smidge" larger than the "designated" size.

Example: A nominal "two-inch strip" is actually about 2-1/64 inches wide. It makes the difference between a "regular" 1/4 inch seam and a "scant" 1/4 inch seam.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 PM

well marlaclair, all these tips are great, and I've followed them all for 15 years of quilting and was "close enough" but consistent, so my quilts are "fine". But then 2 things happened, I started sharing and swapping blocks on QB and "close enough" is not good enough any more. And the real turning point was making an Elizabeth Hartman Pattern. She pieces blocks that look paper pieced. I made her Fancy Forest Pattern that had over 1800 pieces in a 67" x 97" quilt. I had to be PERFECT all the time. I conquered consistent & accurate cutting (see thin line same brand rulers), consistent and accurate sewing (see credit card technique), consistent results (see sewing and measuring test strips).

BUT, the three techniques that took me over the top to the next level of ever consistent accuracy was:
1) use very thin thread , in top and bobbin like aurifil 50
2) Heavily starch your fabric before you cut it, (you can wash it out later) and
3) Sew on the line and press your seams open

Best of Luck to you, Jane Quilter
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I know, I know. Lots of threads on 1/4" seams but I just can't get it. I am in a class where we are doing 6" blocks with lots of pieces, so that 1/4" is very important. After fiddling around for hours, I think the mistake is in my cutting. Here's the question. When placing your ruler on the material, is the line on the ruler on the right or left of the material. The width of the line on the ruler could be the amount I am off. For a 6 1/2 unfinished block, I am off almost a 1/4". I am frustrated and any help would be appreciated.
I highly recommend Debbie Caffrey's Cut to it class on craftsy. It teaches proper cutting techniques. I have been quilting for many years and learned new things
Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 PM

I feel your pain. finally, I have figured out to keep the line on the ruler just a tad more...just a tad. Try it with scraps. Also, you can check your 1/4" by sewing on an index card. The lines are 1/4" apart. Good luck. I didn't read all the suggestions, but I know your pain.
Edited to add: use thin thread, too...it makes a difference.

Last edited by coopah; 11-12-2016 at 05:53 PM.