Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just can't get moving

I have fabric. I have the time. I have patterns. I just can't seem to get going on anything. Not even something small. I stink at putting colors together. I have some fabric that goes together but most is just 2 yards of whatever I thought was pretty. I've never done a scrappy top because I have no idea what pattern to use and I'm afraid I'll feel I just wasted the fabric. All I did today is straighten up a little and watch TV with my feet up on my sewing table. And to think I just bought a FW. For what? I'm not even using the machine that's set up. I hope tomorrows a better day. :?

I went almost two years with out so much as lifting a piece of fabric... I knew I would get there again, I just had to step away for a while. OK... a long while. Don't beat yourself up. You'll use it... and you'll use it all and then some. It's not a job that you have to do everyday to make it valuable, it's your hobby and you do it when you wannt to.. again, not because you have to. Sit back. Its ok, really. Hugs, Mona

Blog Entries
    Hugs Hugs, tomorrow will be a better day
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need a rest. Sit and relax. Have a glass of wine and some delicious chocolates. Go to bed early, get up and take a walk. By yourself.

Then take a handful of fabrics blindly and toss them in a pile. That's what you are going to cut up and make a simple 9 patch with sashings to separate the blocks. And it could be a baby quilt ot a lap robe or a twin, but it'll be lovely.

Then you will find someone who really and truly needs it and it'll make you feel better and jump in and start making lots more quilts.

My advice: just do something. Pick something easy like a turning twenty, and just do it. Once you get something going you will feel the spirit...

Blog Entries
    Quilters block is a common phenomenon. This, too, shall pass. Relax and enjoy the moment.

I'm having the same thing now and waiting for it to pass, as I know it will. I think the never-ending winter followed by a cool and rainy spring have gotten to me. Hopefully you will soon be ready to quilt again, but don't beat yourself up over it; it is not permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    I went almost two years with out so much as lifting a piece of fabric... I knew I would get there again, I just had to step away for a while. OK... a long while. Don't beat yourself up. You'll use it... and you'll use it all and then some. It's not a job that you have to do everyday to make it valuable, it's your hobby and you do it when you wannt to.. again, not because you have to. Sit back. Its ok, really. Hugs, Mona

And it will get used one way or another!

:twisted:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Aww, I feel for you. Been there myself. It'll pass but have a HUG from me :)

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been motivated to work on a project for a couple of weeks, however, that hasn't stopped me from buying fabric. LOL So, I've just been hanging out here and enjoying every second of it. May we both have a better day tomorrow.

I get too much going and then am overwhelmed by projects. Fortunately I feel pretty confident with colors. Atleast what it ends up with is normally something I like.

It is OK to relax and watch tv. Maybe kits work better for you? Or have you considered working with some one else? Some of my friends struggle with color or picking fabric and I help with that while they give me input and help on other things. Even if they can not be there frequently they could help you make your own kit from patterns and fabrics you own. I make these for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62
    I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been motivated to work on a project for a couple of weeks, however, that hasn't stopped me from buying fabric. LOL So, I've just been hanging out here and enjoying every second of it. May we both have a better day tomorrow.
    I couldn't help but notice that you're from Mabank! We used to live in Athens many years ago and would drive through Mabank often. I miss that area at times...it's so beautiful.

Kas
    When I get like that I dig through old quilt magazines or books and just admire. Don't beat yourself up. If you feel you suck at color selection, ask a friend who doesn't quilt what they think of the colors. Two heads are better than one.

Blog Entries
    We sound like soul sisters. I'm having the same problem getting motivated. Here's to better days :thumbup:

I totally agree with all of the above. And I'm in the same boat as you. Chocolate does help :lol: And looking through magazines helps. And just looking at your fabrics also helps. I am thinking that I need a simple block and the D9P is just the ticket for what ails me. Maybe that would be a good solution for you too??

You've got "quilters block". Been there myself. The cure for me was to take a workshop - all those enthusiastic quilters got me going again!

And I agree with all your answers... we all have that feeling sometime during our sewing life...Things will get better you will come through this and ENJOY it all again. :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Do a search on the QB or google scrappy quilts. Maybe you will find something that will get you interested again.

How about starting small - not worrying about all of your yardage? Placemats for yourself or someone else, a table topper...a tissue holder for your purse (I'm not kidding). And are you sure you have the time right now? I'm heading into the end of my school year and have so much to do at work that I really don't have much time and the time I have I'm usually really tired.
    Good luck - keep us posted.

Been there done that! And this to shall pass!

Its frustrating when you hit a road block. You said something about maybe a scrappy. Here's a wonderful site that may give you some inspiration.

http://quiltville.com

It happens to almost everyone at some time. I am going through the same thing right now. My husband was hospitalized for over a week in early April and had surgery and then spent 2wks in a nursing home. Now he is home and I am doing his IV therapy. It's not so much a lot of physical work but am sleeping less than my usual 4hrs so am pretty wiped out. But this too will pass, it always does. Just be patient. Maybe do the FabShopHop for some inspiration.

After a year of moving me, my kids, and doing for others, I too had a block against quilting. I find that time away makes me more creative. With our house closing in view (June 1st) and a daughter getting settled in her new home, I'm finally beginning to feel the urge to create again!

Take your time, don't obsess, and just see what takes you back to your creative side. It may be just a simple project, it may be stepping aside for awhile. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.:)

The ask a Friend thing is neat I was in Joanns the other day with a gal pal that can't even sew on a button, and just for the heck of it I said hey pick out 3 fat quarters in purple or shades that go with it and she picked out the most awsome purple print and matched colors out of that she even said I like this color it makes this pop! This from a non sewer......... So I bought them and made my mom and her male friend Mug Rugs from them to cool. So by all means ask a friend to go with you or even come over and go through your stach you just never know......... I know I will ask her advice again that is for sure.
    Friends are wonder tools so to speak.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast