Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just can't get it >

Just can't get it

Just can't get it

Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 AM

Default Just can't get it

I know, I know. Lots of threads on 1/4" seams but I just can't get it. I am in a class where we are doing 6" blocks with lots of pieces, so that 1/4" is very important. After fiddling around for hours, I think the mistake is in my cutting. Here's the question. When placing your ruler on the material, is the line on the ruler on the right or left of the material. The width of the line on the ruler could be the amount I am off. For a 6 1/2 unfinished block, I am off almost a 1/4". I am frustrated and any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

A 6 1/2 unfinished block should have a 14" seam on all sides to create a 6" finished block. There are many videos on cutting fabric. Craftsy.com has videos I'm not good at explaining better to look.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562071[/ATTACH]I use Omni grid rulers and they have a nice thin black line. I keep the line ON the fabric and cut on the ruler edge. Here it is as if I was going to cut a 1 inch strip off this peach sample.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-12-2016, 08:07 AM

I have found that which side of the line to use depends on the ruler, but typically it is the near side (side closest to your rotary blade) rather than the far side. I try to choose rulers with the thinnest lines to avoid this problem.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Where you place the ruler (right/left/center) of the printed line depends on the brand of ruler. The olfa rulers with the wider yellow lines may be more difficult. Creative grids has a thinner line, but some find the markings confusing. Olfa has a newer line of rulers, Olfa Frosted. Very simple, thin lines.
also, if possible, you need to use the same ruler, or at least the same brand of ruler for your entire project.
Finally, don't know how you were determining your quarter inch seam. here's a link to a common method:http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
Old 11-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Thank you all. I m going to my sewing room to try again. Wish me luck. I only use Omni grids for rulers unless the are speciality rulers.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:27 AM

Thank you for asking the question! I had the same concerns so then I decided to place the fabric on the line of the ruler, so I include it like Tartan shows. Thanks again
Old 11-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Why don't you use a scrap and cut a few different squares (use the 2" so you don't waste a lot). Pay attention to where the line is, cut, and then measure the piece you cut.
I also use the yellow/black rulers and have my eye trained to read the black line on the fabric edge.

Make sure to also sew a trial piece and measure before and after pressing. A lot of times we have correct seams but press some of fabric down instead of open.

It's great that you challenge yourself to do it correctly from the start. Once you get the magic combination, you'll be flying through those projects.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562071[/ATTACH]I use Omni grid rulers and they have a nice thin black line. I keep the line ON the fabric and cut on the ruler edge. Here it is as if I was going to cut a 1 inch strip off this peach sample.
this is the way i have measured forever . i have rulers i've bought at fabric shops in recent years, as i did more miniatures, but the majority of my rulers are from yard sales & are of nearly every brand. in all of them i use the 'center' of the main black line as demonstrated in photo above. nearly all brands of rulers have breaks somewhere in the main line that i use to line up on for my cut. i also measure seam allowance frequently while making blocks to insure i have scant 1/4" seams. as the size of my quilts have diminished, i have learned, the hard way , that accurate seam allowance are more than important in getting the desired results in finished blocks & finished quilt tops.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
For a 6 1/2 unfinished block, I am off almost a 1/4".
Are you 1/4" too small? Or 1/4" too big? Remember that finished size is a *combination* of cutting and sewing. If your blocks are 1/4" too small, it means you are cutting your pieces too small, sewing the seam allowance too large, or some combination of both. If your blocks are 1/4" too big, you are cutting your pieces too large, taking too small of a seam allowance, or some combination of both.

Have you actually done the strip test? That is the easiest way to figure out how to adjust your cutting and seam allowance. I think a link was posted earlier in this thread. It means cutting 3 strips 2-1/2" wide, sewing them together, pressing, then measuring. Until that measurement comes out to 6-1/2" exactly, you do not want to be attempting complicated blocks with lots of seam allowances.

What brand of ruler are you using? I have found some variations in rulers -- not only in line thickness (as others have mentioned, thin lines on a ruler are easier to use than thick lines), but also in accuracy. In other words, some rulers cut a slightly wider strip than other rulers. Line placement when you cut really depends on the trial-and-error method of working with 3 strips, depending on which brand of ruler you are using.