Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just can't get it >

Just can't get it

Just can't get it

Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 PM

when doing the small blocks like that I had the same problem. My teacher said the line on the ruler went right on the line to cut or edge of fabric. She checked my seam allowances and said they were accurate. She suggested me to use Aurifil, it is 2 ply ver 3ply. I couldn't believe the difference this one extra ply meant. My blocks were accurate. I also try to do scant instead of full 1/4 in. Scant is just one needle width over which isn't much but like the one less ply adds up when you have lots of seams going across a block
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I second JenniePenny's recommend about using fine thread. My blocks are more accurate since I switched to Aurifil 50-wt cotton thread. It is much more difficult for me to be precise when using regular 3-ply thread.
I agree with the 50-wt cotton thread too. Connecting Threads is a great, reasonably priced choice I go to.

I also love the Olfa frosted rulers so much that I bought several of them to replace others. They turn clear when they are right on top of the fabric and the lines are nice and thin.

Last edited by JenF; 02-17-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Thought of something to add
Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM

I struggled to keep a consistent 1/4" seam and it was really a combo of cutting, thread and stitching. So now I use my Accuquilt as much as possible and otherwise do as Tartan showed, I use a thinner thread (a #50 or higher) as that really makes a difference, and take the time to check the 1/4" seam when I start a project by cutting 2 accurate 2" blocks and sewing together and then checking that my new rectangle is 3.5" exactly--if not I adjust my needle position--and I find that on my machine I always have to bump it a bit. Also, on those 1/4" foot with a flange, which I use, don't be a "pusher"--what the machine repair shop told me! Was told it's a guide, not a curb to bounce off of!

Good luck--I tell my beginner quilters that the hardest thing is to get that 1/4" seam consistently--once that comes along almost everything else--including Y seams, seems much more doable!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I always put the line of the ruler to the left of the fabric edge. Works for me. Do you know to square up after the amount of cuts equal the width of the cuts? Example. Cutting 2" wide strips square up after two cuts. 6" wide strips square up after six cuts. Learn that in precision piecing class.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

OMG! I hope everyone realizes "14" seam" was a typo. forgot the (/).
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
A 6 1/2 unfinished block should have a 14" seam on all sides to create a 6" finished block. There are many videos on cutting fabric. Craftsy.com has videos I'm not good at explaining better to look.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM

I"m not the most accurate, but I've always been told to cut like Tartan does. I also use the Omnigrid rulers with the nice thin line and place it centered right on the edge of the fabric. It seems to work for me.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Not just the rulers, but the guides on the sewing machine can also throw off a measurement. Also, when you iron seams to one side it takes up a tiny bit of fabric for it to go over the fold. I think you need to find out where on your ruler you need to place the fabric to get the exact size you need. Then do the same on your machine. On my sewing machine, I sitch a "scant" 1/4" seam to account for that extra fabric taken up by the fold. By "scant" I mean I place my fabric so it lines up on the needle side of the mark instead of right on top of the mark.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 AM

I also wondered where to place the marking line on the fabric. Over the edge onto the fabric so you might need to trim or right at the very edge of the outer fabric. Then when it comes to the pre-cuts that have the pinked edge, what do you consider the edge for sewing the 1/4"? Simple questions that could make or break it for you when coming out with the correct sized block. I like the patterns that have you cut over sized so you have to go back and trim to the correct size. This way it allievates the problems.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Not just the rulers, but the guides on the sewing machine can also throw off a measurement. Also, when you iron seams to one side it takes up a tiny bit of fabric for it to go over the fold. I think you need to find out where on your ruler you need to place the fabric to get the exact size you need. Then do the same on your machine. On my sewing machine, I sitch a "scant" 1/4" seam to account for that extra fabric taken up by the fold. By "scant" I mean I place my fabric so it lines up on the needle side of the mark instead of right on top of the mark.
No wonder accuquilt is so popular.