Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just curious: how do YOU decide your next project? >

just curious: how do YOU decide your next project?

just curious: how do YOU decide your next project?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM

I have a stack of projects I want to get to; I order them; and then, something new catches my eye, especially now that I've joined this forum! Or, someone asks me to make something for them, repair something, etc. So I'm just curious how everyone else organizes their "to do's", and then sticks to it :)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Stick to it? There are people who stick to a plan? I'm confused by your question. Do you mean that you only work on one thing at a time? Is that possible?

But seriously, to answer your question, I probably have 20 quilts in various states of completion at the moment, from waiting to be quilted, to needing basting, to partially pieced or waiting to be pieced tops. I do whatever catches my eye or interest at any given moment. When I start to feel like there's too much going on, I take those projects that are closest to completion and do those first, to knock things off my list. I make a lot of gifts, but avoid taking commissions or committing myself to gifts for particular holidays. That way, even though I'm making a birthday present, I'm not committed to which birthday a person gets the gift.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I have a whole bin of projects that I have started. Currently working on one quilt that just needs one for row and borders, one that needs borders. Have 2 out to LMQ that will need binding soon. Want to get one raggy and two I spy's done by October. Also have a request for a queen size, but she has yet to call me to discuss fabric, pattern or size.
I keep wanting to start new ones after reading and looking here.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

i always have dozens going on, i do kind of prioritise, if i have to get swap blocks/quilts done i go by the due dates and get at them in order of due date but i am always working on other things at the same time.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM

I am that weirdo that LIKES to work on one at a time. If I get too many going, it freaks me out.

I pick my priorities by deadlines or by alternating techniques. For example, right now I am in the midst of a HUGE curved piecing pp'd project which mean my next one will probably be machine applique, OBW, then a log cabin, then a Thangles by the time I get through those I will be ready to do pp'ing again.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a bunch going at a time right now. It depends what I feel like doing in what order. Having a bunch going does drive me crazy because when I go to another project I may need material that I am using in onther quilt.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I signed up for the Round Robin and the deadline is looming, so that project gets bumped to the top. I also promised to fix an old quilt for a friend and she is coming home Labor Day - so there's another top priority. The rest depends on the mood and the occasion.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm what you call an eleveth hour-er! I do my best work when nearing a deadline. If I didn't set a time that something needs done by, it wouldn't get done. Also, if i find myself procrastinating about something for too long, I will tell myself I cannot do something I really want until that project is done! Works for cleaning and other stuff, too.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM

I used to only do one project at a time but now I find that there are least 3 or 4 going at one time. I tend to get bored or frustrated and then I know it is time to leave it for a while and do something new. Once I get over my hurdle I do go back and finish the oldest project. I am like everyone on this board I am getting so many ideas that I want to do them all. Will have to learn to prioritize ha ha
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

lol! There is no way I can answer this question.