Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Decide On Your Next Quilt?

Blog Entries
    Do you keep a list in your head, or a written list of quilts you want to make? How do you choose from the list....or do you often ignore it & choose one from another book or mag?

Once I make a sample block & decide it's good to go,I'll work on that quilt till done.Usually have a 2nd one in mind, but don't start until 1st is done.

Thinking I might give up on a list, cause I seldom use it.My next quilt is more often from pic on the board,or to use a technique new to me.

It usually starts with the grouping of fabric I put together a long time ago (from my stash) or the new panel I just brought home.

I usually end up pulling from my stash and then look at patterns. I do have a list of someday quilts and refer to them first and if the fabric won't work, then move on to other sources.

I have a list, but it changes daily....same reason I have UFOs ..LOL

It happened again this week. I was finishing up a quilt top to be sandwiched, and next thing I knew I had started another quilt! What is wrong with me, I asked myself. I did it again. It just kinda of evolves with me! I rarely ever plan a quilt because my hands get ahead of me.

I have a list in my head. I'm always doing charity quilts..simple ez patterns that don't count as my quilts. This week I purchased 2 fabrics for OBW...lol having so much fun with the mirrors I haven't cut a thing yet.

I seem to find myself well started on the next one before I know what happened! Or else the next one jumps out and says "Make me next" :lol: I certainly don't have to think about it. I do have a couple I would like to make, so will need to get the fabric out and ready so when it wants to jump to the front of the line it can.

Usually I have a bunch of fabric I want to use together, but no pattern. Then I sit down and measure everything I've got and browse until I see something that floats my boat. Then I sketch out the design and do the math to usually find that I don't have enough of one or another of the fabrics to do it... :lol: So then I play around with that design to make it fit my fabric or search my stash to see if something else will fit. Then I draw a revised design, and write out a list of what I need of each fabric and go to it! I am usually in the sketching/measuring/revising stages before I'm finished the current project and am able to start right away when I finish it. I rarely work on more than one project at a time.

I usually have at least three that I want to make at all times!

lol this year it all depends on whos birthday is next!

Blog Entries
    Tricky question. I have a "bucket list" of patterns but this is often overlooked in favor of a recipients desires or something I have seen in a magazine. At this point I want a lone star and a double wedding ring for my bed. Then there is the UFO pile screaming for attention. I always have more in my head than time to make them.

It's pretty much whatever I'm in the mood to work on. I have a "list" in my head of various projects I want to do.

Pretty much the same technique as you! I see one in a magazine, I see one on this site or at a guild meeting, quilt show etc and kinda mentally file it away as a "someday" project. Then when I complete my current project I'll go with something completely different so it doesn't get repetitive.

Depends entirely on who wants one when and have to prioritize by timeframe. I then choose a pattern that would be appropriate for the reciepent or let them choose. Course for donations they usually have specific patterns they desire. My stash is huge so I generally have what I need but might have to find a fabric to add for completion.

I usually see photo of the quilt here on the QB, or one of my quilt groups.

I rarely shop for fabric for a specific pattern. Therefore, I have a stash of fabric in 3-5 yard cuts. I pull out what I want to use then look thru all my patterns to chose one. I usually have several quilts in different stages of completion at the same time as I get bored sewing on the same fabric for days on end (hand piecer). All get finished eventually, some just faster than others!

Blog Entries
    It depends on what is coming up next, we are going to VA for holidays in April I have three to finish for that trip. A good friend of the family has finished college, need to start his. Another grand nephew is on the way in July and another grand neice or nephew is due in Aug. Wedding in June in Canada, oh yes and I still need to make my quilt of the month for April, May, June, July, Aug and Sept. I have the fabric for some of the projects but not all. Once this round is completed I want to make a Christmas quilt for DH and my bed. No shortage of projects to complete :)
    Janet

Spend endless hours right here lol.

It's whatever catches my fancy next.

I keep a small photo album of pictures from magazine pohots that I want to make in the future-when I have spare time-LOL or when I retire. By keeping these pictures I can show them to friends and they can choose one that apeals to them maybe that they would have me make one for them.

Some days it is who needs one--babies grow into twin size--toddlers grown into full or queen size--wedding--new baby--etc.

I have a list in my head of ones I want to do "some" day but a must do keeps pushing them down the priority ladder. Often times I'll see a technique or pattern that I want to try and that quilt will go to whoever is next on my list. Twisted D9P turned into "grandson isn't a baby any more needs a twin size". A combination of OBW and S&W turned into step-granddaughter doesn't take naps with nap blanket any more so needs twin size quilt. Need a baby quilt quick & am tired of all the half yard & fat quarters of flannel I bought for no reason so Quick Trip on front, fleece on back and sew a couple X's through it for new great niece in less than a weekend while cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping & laundry also got done.

I just finished my 4th version of "Look who's sitting on my Quilt" for my newest grandbaby born 11/11/10. I started it right after she was born but had too many other projects to finish.

There is still a queen size Jewel Box quilt that needs quilting on the sashing strips & bound that was on my old frame last spring when I bought a new (to me) frame & mid-arm. I wanted to practice on the other quilts with the new system before loading this fancier quilt back on and finishing it.

I've had the fabric pulled to make a tablecloth since last July and it's still laying on my cutting table. MIL gave us another tablecloth so mine got bumped back down the list but not too far because the one she gave us is ugly--LOL.

Baby shower in May for a great niece on hubby's side that is due in July is percolating plans in my head now. Trying to figure out a way to send the quilt to the shower but be out of town myself. I really don't like future niece in law but nephew is a good boy.

I have a big project going, with breaks inbetween for holiday items, with quilts on the brain to make later, and gather fabric up for those as I shop.

Blog Entries
    At the moment all my projects are guild projects. Hope that will change in the near future though. I have found lots of projects I want to do some day.

Oh this is an easy one....I made a New Year's Resolution to not start another quilt until I finish (or get rid of) all my UFO's. So, since Jan 1st, I have been digging and digging out from underneath all those projects. I am making progress...I checked back over all those half done Hourglass squares that my daughter started 10 yrs ago. I have sorted, thrown out the "too small" scrapes, and pressed most of the rest of my scraps and neatly stored them. I have found the Sunbonnet Sue quilt blocks, complete with embroidery, that I started 20 yrs ago...just need to complete their setting and the top will be ready to hand quilt. I have located several finished tops that I want to machine quilt and send to our local woman's shelter. I found just the right "blue" fabric for the "Blue Danube" Bear's Paws blocks I made one winter about 11 yrs ago....and, last but not least, I discovered that yards and yards of strips that I cut for a Log Cabin quilt way back in 1997 were cut crooked...so off to the quilt store and home I came with lots of new fabric just waiting for me to cut up.....

hmmmmm....now I'm not so sure I'm making progress at all!!!!!
    k

I have project boxes and bags. I see a quilt I have to do and I keep the pattern separate and then shop for the fabrics sometimes for months and they all go in the same box along with the pattern, so that if and when the time comes, they are all there witing for me, patiently, I hope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast