Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Decide On Your Next Quilt?

Since I only do I quilt at a time except for charity quilts I have a tote that I have fabrics that floated my boat and bought that are put together in a ziplock. I usually have a pattern in mind but the theme of the fabric calls to me. Like boy scout fabric for my eagle scout sons and ballet theme for my DD. So all I have to do is go to my kit bags and select one that I feel like doing or need to do since some of these have due dates (baby quilts).But I am always planning quilts. Of course you all are always giving me more ideas for me to download and match with my stash. So if I ever get to a point of any empty bag or not wanting to do what is there, there is always my stash and the large amount of pattern that are on my computer to pick from.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    You are much more disciplined than I am! ;) I have a mental list of a bazillion things I'd like to make...and a pile of UFO's in my sewing room. But I sew for fun so I don't really beat myself up if I don't finish something. I am always on here or on the blogs or reading quilt magazines so I'm always finding new things I can't wait to try or make. My list of things "to make someday" will probably keep me busy until my last day on Earth! ;)

I am trying not to have too many quilts on the go at once. I count a quilt as starting from when I begin marking up and cutting the fabric. I am however allowed to plan quilts in my head, and sometimes on paper if I'm messing around with designs. And then I end up gathering fabrics for these planned quilts, to be put aside for when I finally start that quilt. Of course, sometimes the quilt doesn't actually materialise, mainly when it's arty and I can't work out a design, or if the list of quilts which need to be made first gets too long.

I plan quilts for a variety of reasons: a baby might be due, or I might fall in love with a fabric, or most often I fall in love with a design idea. What I'm interested in, and the order I end up making my quilts in, are not always the same. But I really will make those quilts I have at the back of my mind! Some day!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    You are much more disciplined than I am! ;) I have a mental list of a bazillion things I'd like to make...and a pile of UFO's in my sewing room. But I sew for fun so I don't really beat myself up if I don't finish something. I am always on here or on the blogs or reading quilt magazines so I'm always finding new things I can't wait to try or make. My list of things "to make someday" will probably keep me busy until my last day on Earth! ;)
    Me too!!! Spend WAY too much time on here daydreaming and planning; filing away all the things I want to do!! :roll:

I work on one quilt at a time, working on it until it is finished.
    But I am always thinking ahead to my next quilt. I have several patterns on my desk that are future quilts. When I am ready to make my next quilt I decide who I am going to make the quilt for. Who the quilt is going to be for decides the pattern and color choices. I like to choose the pattern to match this persons character. Since I mainly make scrap quilts I can pull most of the fabrics from my stash.

Whichever one beckons loudest, or if there's a special occasion.

I have 2 large drawers full of fabric with the pattern and the fabrics to go with it. If I don't get waylaid along the way, I start with the drawers.

I love trying the new technics I see and the pictures ,some I make a sketch of . Other than that I dream of quilt. Yes, I am hopeless. My husband helps me lay them out. I will need a bigger room soon.

I have a white board in my sewing room with a list of the quilts and the order I'm making them in because they are for birthday presents for my family. When I'm finished with the last one, I can make one for myself and I don"t know what one it will be yet.

I'm always trying to do quilts from "a list" but I'm usually caught up by inspiration from a picture or a pattern or fabric that I see. My poor list just keeps getting longer, lol.

Blog Entries
    I go according for whom the quilt is meant - at least at this stage of my quilting - all family gets a quilt first before any donations. Each person has something about them that puts a pattern in mind for them. Like my niece is a horse gal.... great outdoors person - so outdoorsy print with horses on it for her with the horses being appliqued on the blocks. My great niece is a Barbie nut - so pinks and purples and she loves fans.. so a fan quilt with those colors as backgrounds. Two niece and nephews love farm animals, but live in town - so animals quilts for them. My other niece loves earthtones; not fussy about pattern, so will find my earthtones together, and see what I come up with. Have not come up with a pattern for her yet, but she is down the list a ways, so have not given her a lot of thought yet.

I have a notebook with quilts I want to make in it. The only problem is when I find a material I love it doesn't always match well with my list. So, I guess I decide on my next quilt based on the material I want to use. As a result, the quilts I want to make don't usually get done. Also, a big factor is who I'm making the quilt for. One of these days I think I'll just make one for myself...

I have a LONG list! LOL Sometimes, I'll choose one from my list, but more often than not, an idea will come along from a book, magazine, a quilt I see in a shop, or often, a new technique I see or hear about and I just have to try it. Sometimes, I wish I could ignore these impulses and focus on my list!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a list of people and a rather substantial stash. The rest sort of happens as if by magic. Something will speak to me and I go from there.

Something has to catch my eye, then I can't wait to finish it.

I think I work backwards to most of you. I know which patterns I want to make. I then begin collecting fabrics
    whether they be from my stash or LQS. In the meantime I am
    piecing (during the weekdays) on one..and quilting (eves and
    weekends) on another. When my finger gets sore I may be
    appliqueing on other blocks. I have bins with each quilt
    fabrics, paterns, etc. set aside. I try to baste in all the
    tops (in either the spring or fall--we do it outside) as I
    get the tops finished. Actually right now I have about 10
    tops basted in and ready to quilt. I have about 6 more that
    I have pieced this winter ..ready to baste in. I have
    promised myself not to start on any more tops until everything I hsve is completed (except the quilting of it)
    The quilting is what I like best to do. The only thing
    about that promise is that I have trouble shutting my mind
    off from the creative process. So far I'm doing it!
    As the quilted quilts pile up I let my family (5 kids)
    (6 grands- pick from that pile. I make what I want to make
    and they choose from those. I amalways surprised at what they pick. I don't make for friends..if I every start I will
    never get back to my family. They say they will never get
    too many.

I don't decide on my next quilt; it decides on me! :D

I have a list I want to make sometime, so it might be one of them but often something else jumps in front of me and yells "make me" and I am powerless to resist. That becomes the next project.

Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I have a list, but it changes daily....same reason I have UFOs ..LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    It happened again this week. I was finishing up a quilt top to be sandwiched, and next thing I knew I had started another quilt! What is wrong with me, I asked myself. I did it again. It just kinda of evolves with me! I rarely ever plan a quilt because my hands get ahead of me.
    The above should have been MY reply....happens all the time!

I keep a notebook with those clear sleeves in it and put patterns I want to make in a sleeve. Once I buy the fabrics for it that's my next project. I have one needing binding one being pieced, and one on the long arm being quilted. That way I never get bored with a project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    It happened again this week. I was finishing up a quilt top to be sandwiched, and next thing I knew I had started another quilt! What is wrong with me, I asked myself. I did it again. It just kinda of evolves with me! I rarely ever plan a quilt because my hands get ahead of me.
    OMG, I have a twin on this board!

I made a New Years resolution to finish all of my ufos this year before starting anything new. Broke that resolution already, but trying to do more ufos. $'s tight & I have enough to do for atleast 8 months.

Something to suit what ever combination I pull out of my stash. At the moment, I have two jelly rolls that I finally purchased and I will attempt one called "For Toni" from Windham Fabrics. The link to their patterns was posted here a few days ago.

Power Poster
    It's different with me all the time. Right now I am working on a BOM from last year and have three more paper pieced blocks to do plus finishing it. But my problem is want to do next, so many that I want to make. Shouldn't look at any more sites cuz the list just keeps growing. No discipline here.

I will never live long enough to make all the quilts I want to. Seems like I have plans to start one and something comes over me and I do a completely different top than I had anticipated!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast