Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: just curious: how do YOU decide your next project?

I too usually have several projects in the works, but usually try to get the top done, and the backing chosen. Then I can start another one. I am learning so many different methods of quilting, I find them all so exciting.
    Yes, I too am an 11th hour finisher. If I make a deadline, I usually get it done by then, otherwise............ sometime, someday...........

I have so many projects started that I am overwhelmed. My husband says that I am not a quilter I am a collector and in a sense I think he is right. I am stepping back and taking a breath before I start in again. I have one autumn wall hanging that I am working on and have set a deadline of September 1st. We'll see...

Blog Entries
    I am very regimented. I usually have one quilt going at a time, never more than two. When I get so far on a quilt, I get so driven that I cannot stop until it is finished.

I just counted the number of things to do on my list for 2010. It now stands at 24 with 5 items completed - well 4 completed and one deleted. And that list does not include everything I'll probably try to make for Christmas. I really try to complete each project before starting another, but it doesn't always work that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Stick to it? There are people who stick to a plan? I'm confused by your question. Do you mean that you only work on one thing at a time? Is that possible?

But seriously, to answer your question, I probably have 20 quilts in various states of completion at the moment, from waiting to be quilted, to needing basting, to partially pieced or waiting to be pieced tops. I do whatever catches my eye or interest at any given moment. When I start to feel like there's too much going on, I take those projects that are closest to completion and do those first, to knock things off my list. I make a lot of gifts, but avoid taking commissions or committing myself to gifts for particular holidays. That way, even though I'm making a birthday present, I'm not committed to which birthday a person gets the gift.
    Ditto - I work in the same manner! My list of quilts to make (and finish) is sooooo long and it seems that every time I get on this board or leaf thru a quilting magazine or visit my favorite on-line venders, something strikes my eye and it immediately goes to the top of the list and I MUST start it or else the sky will fall!!

Blog Entries
    I have many projects waiting in the wings. However, I make myself work on no than two at a time. Otherwise, I get lost and just start floundering around. It's not easy, but it makes me finish faster so I can get to the next one.

I'm going to try something "New" don't know if it will work but why not, will try to finish 2 ufo's for each 1 new start. The problem with that is making it work, with out distraction, LOL and all the temptation !!

Yep I'm a project hopper !! :)

:lol: :lol: WOW !! just realized this is my 1000 post !!
    Hmmm might be spending too much time here, :oops: But do enjoy the good company :!: :!:

Anything I need to do for a chairity comes first. I don't know how I managed this, but 5 projects are all due in September------currently all five have been started. 75% done on one, 50% on three of them and 10% on the last

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it goes by the level of challenge, sometimes it goes by what tickles my fancy...but lately it seems to be by request or expectation ( if that makes any sense). My daughter and husband just bought a new home and she announced that new quilts would make excellent Christmas gifts for my three grandchildren ...{{{SIGH}}}so as I said, sometimes it is by request.

Always have many projects in progress. Some just piles of fabric with pattern, some tops, some that need binding etc etc. Have a notebook with "would like to do someday" quilt pictures or patterns from magazines.
    Do know a few who just work on one project at a time, but would find that intimidating. I need variety in my work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Stick to it? There are people who stick to a plan? I'm confused by your question. Do you mean that you only work on one thing at a time? Is that possible?

But seriously, to answer your question, I probably have 20 quilts in various states of completion at the moment, from waiting to be quilted, to needing basting, to partially pieced or waiting to be pieced tops. I do whatever catches my eye or interest at any given moment. When I start to feel like there's too much going on, I take those projects that are closest to completion and do those first, to knock things off my list. I make a lot of gifts, but avoid taking commissions or committing myself to gifts for particular holidays. That way, even though I'm making a birthday present, I'm not committed to which birthday a person gets the gift.
    Mattee, sounds like you live in my house. I have several things on hold. A very large tote bucket full + but right now I'm making Table runners for a craft show. Have 18 or 20 designed, pinned, ready to bat, quilt, and bind. My method is like working in a factory--remember Lucy & Ethel in the chocalate factory?

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I get to a major "milestone" and leave it up on the design wall while I start another. When I'm excited enough to replace the one on the wall with the new one, I get to another milestone on THAT one. I just keep rotating - I don't tuck any WIP away, but keep them out - supposedly to inpire me to finish. One "milestone" at a time.

Blog Entries
    I make clothes for people, so that comes first, depending on when they need it. I usually try to do one thing at a time. I need to keep focused. I always have the next thing either in my mind or lined up somewhere. Right now I have 2 satin dresses to make, one is cut out. And I have 2 more nighties to make for my SIL. I have things I would rather do, so consequently I am accomplishing nothing. I will start on Christmas as soon as I finish these things.

Blog Entries
    I guess that means I am hooked! I have at least 5 projects to do and that kids quilt(2!) so I am trying to prioritize my time for other things too, um thats kinda hard!

I like to have one project at a time that I'm focusing on, so that it gets done.....it's usually because I wait right until the baby is born to make the quilt, or quilt a table runner for that holiday the week before the holiday. I think the pressure of time motivates and focuses me to get things done. I do have a whole list of projects to do though and a few that I started forever ago that I should probably finish one of these days.

This is interesting. Thanks for asking this question.
    I guess (maybe because of my job), I am an organized person by nature and very goal-oriented. I make a schedule and stick with it. Of course, quilting is a hobby for me, so I set a comfortable goal, and sometimes I even finish ahead of the schedule:)
    I like to work on one "big" (relative term here as I am a beginner and haven't done anything bigger than lap size) or complex project, and may start a smaller, easier project just to keep me motivated. But I definitely don't start another "big" quilt, until the one I m am working on is bound.
    I do, however, plan quilts in the middle of projects again to keep myself motivated. I design or pick a pattern, choose or buy fabrics and get it all together so it is waiting for me when I am ready.
    As far as picking which one is next, I just go by my mood or the deadlines I set for myself.

I too, have several going at once. If one has a definite deadline, then that's the one I'll concentrate on until it's finished. Otherwise, I'll work on whatever suits my fancy. I for sure, have lots of fabric (12 hunks) bought for OBW's, that have no specific timeline to be made, other than I loved the fabric and had to have it. After finishing a large quilt, it's nice to do some small things - like table runners, placemats, etc. and get those out of my head, so I can then go back to a large project's planning.

I keep a list on my computer of all the projects I have 'going' and re-organize it about once a month. It has a couple of quilts that I bought material for years ago and have done nothing else to and several that I need to complete (hand-quilting, bindings, labels) for our upcoming show (Sept) as well as some that are in various stages of sandwiched, special patterns I am gathering material for, charity lap and infant quilts, gifts I would like to make, lotto blocks I have won and need an inspiration to put together, a themed quilt for a show next year that I am collecting material for, twelve totes for a raffle (the quilt is finished now). I sort of look at when each needs to be done and rearrange priorities that way. I usually have 4 or 5 things I am actively working on and the rest are 'cogitating'. I print my list and tape it inside my quilt sketch notebook.

I have an ongoing list of projects. I first work on those with deadlines - mostly gifts items. I also am taking some classes so those projects gets high priority. Secondly I do what appeals to me at the time I'm ready to attack something new. In between, I work on charity baby quilts but try to do work every month on those.

EASY.....it is either purses or table runners for a show, something one of the kids( all grown) want done, a gift for someone or an order that needs done

Blog Entries
    that's me! I get obsessed. The problem is I CAN and usually AM obsessed with several projects at any given time!

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    I am very regimented. I usually have one quilt going at a time, never more than two. When I get so far on a quilt, I get so driven that I cannot stop until it is finished.

Blog Entries
    Other things? What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by marygrether
    I guess that means I am hooked! I have at least 5 projects to do and that kids quilt(2!) so I am trying to prioritize my time for other things too, um thats kinda hard!

Blog Entries
    Like some others, I choose my next project by what someone wants, what baby is being born and what I have on hand for the most part. I will buy special for a specific pattern, Right now I am working on one full size , one baby quilt and 4 skirts.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    How I wish I were like you ... 8-)

Blog Entries
    I like to have several projects going on at the same time so I don't get bored or frustrated. I have one quilt top done, waiting for it's mate. I am leaning towards making my quilts reversible so I can have more quilts and less to store. The blocks for a civial war are finished. Trying to pick out fabric for the setting blocks. I'll make that reversible also. Plus I am working on new blocks to teach, one right now I've done before, but it is giving me some problems. Need it figured out by Monday. I want to make more wall hangings. I just picked out the fabric from my stash to make a hanging purse storage. My biggest problem is what ever I see is what I want to do next. Thanks ladies for showing me new things to do. Love this board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast